Best HTPC GPU for folding?

Bloodgod42

Gawd
Im gonna build a HTPC and am wondering what video cards, preferably with hdmi, or an adapter, would fold best when its not recording. Im pretty low budget on this project so I have been eyeing the ATi HD3450 which can be had for under $50, Im just not sure how well it folds or if there is a better option in the sub $100 range.

Any input is appreciated.

4670 beats it. I'll have some PPD on it in about a week. Should have my mobo on Wednesday, and then just waiting on Visiontek to launch their 4670.
I'm not sure how its PPD stacks up against a 9500GT, but gaming performance is years ahead (try almost double in some tests)- it's closer to a 9600GT than it is a 9500GT.

dont forget if you pair it with a 780g motherboard you can use hybrid crossfire with the 4670..

This is gonna be a small, secondary system to my main rig. It will just be used as a htpc and off loading a lil folding from my main pc since some games I play dont like to run when Im folding.

(Funny thing is if i want to play a game and it wont run while im folding, instead of just turning off the folding client and gettin my game on, i will let folding take priority...shit, im hooked!!!)

Anyways, it will probably just be a Mini ITX/Micro ATX board, a simple C2D cpu, a PCI-e x1 TV tuner, a couple 500gb hdd and a PCI-e x16 video card that has HDMI out. Trying to keep it under $600 so I have a budget of $50-100 tops for a gpu, so what i would like to know is if any of the low end htpc video cards are better than another as far as folding goes? Im primarily a fan of nvidia but have been impressed with their lastest offerings and would be willing to consider them if only because they folded better.

Thanks!

I've got an 8800GT and a quad in my HTPC and folding on both (I pause them when watching Blu-Ray) and a Mini Ninja passivly cooling the cpu with no problems

I've got an 8800GT and a quad in my HTPC and folding on both (I pause them when watching Blu-Ray) and a Mini Ninja passivly cooling the cpu with no problems

May I ask what kind of PPD you get? And are you folding with both?

Thanks.

stick with ati when doing an htpc especially if your doing hdmi.. since ati cards.. especially the 4000 series support 7.1 surround sound through DVI-->hdmi.. to run an htpc with a nvidia card you have to use a secondary audio source..

not only that but with a 4000 series card.. you can use a single core cpu to play back blu-ray.. yeah im sure you could do the same with a nvidia card.. but ati cards are still much more efficient at hardware playback then nvidia is right now..

That XFX 8800 GS XXX card I got from the shop the other day Bloodgod42 is giving ~5100 ppd in my sons computer and I moved his BFG 8800 GTS (G80) into mine along side my BFG 8800 GTS (G92) with your help on that trick on the 2nd power supply.

Back