Best HSF combo for 2500+

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to overclock my 2500+ to about 3200+. What is the best heatsink and fan combo (UNDER $30.00 W/SHIPPING) that I could get for this CPU?

I would say a thermalright alx-800, or an slk-800 if you can find one for that price, or if all else fails, an sk-7.

Originally posted by Grammar Nazi
the silent boost is a great heatsink, but it looks like it might be a couple of bucks over your max price.

yeah-- its a great hsf, itll do the job if you just want to go 2500+ to 3200+, assuming you use good thermal paste and apply it properly (AS3, Ceramique, AS5, etc).

If you don't want the hassle of mounting a CNPS-7000A-AlCu (which seems to be a much better HSF, but significantly bigger and heavier), go for the SILENT BOOST, and try to get the FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing) version.

All that stuff is overkill. The stock HSF would probably get the job done if he only wants to put it up to 3200+ speeds. If he wants to overclock more, then look towards those suggestions. I'd feel better with the money in my pockets (or use it towards something else).

Originally posted by stub
try to get the FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing) version.
I didnt even realize until now that there were 2 versions, interesting. According to links on svc and xoxide, the ball bearing version which I apparently have makes the same amount of noise but has a 10,000 hour longer MTBF.

Xoxide Hydro Wave Version
SVC Ball Bearing Version

Coincidentally, the version I have has a fan with a panaflo sticker on the back.

thanks for all of the input...

Right now my computer doesn't have an operating system (WindowsXP will be here in two days) so I am just fiddling around in the BIOS. When I leave my computer on for about 20 minutes, the BIOS says my CPU temp is about 38 deg. Celsius. My case has no fans (coming with the XP on wed.) Is this too high for having no fans?

thanks

38 degrees is fine for an idle temp with no case fans. I'm assuming this is with stock cooling at stock speeds?

Back