best hp laptop error ever

i3lacKnyte

Limp Gawd
boots to a black screen that says the following,
..................................*
_
any ideas?

booting to the cdrom with the windows recovery disc for repair/ reformat/ reinstall it just sits there and gives the above error.

booting to the hard drive results in a "can not boot to windows because of missing pci.sys file, press r to repair" press r and we are back to the error i posted above again. this is a hewlett packard pavilion n5415.

oh yeah, here is the good part. described the problem to hp, sent back to them to fix, they called and said that its working fine nothing wrong with it, and sent it back like this. ha! ha!

oh yeah it is a 900mhz duron, 256mb of pc133, and a 10 gig hard drive. i wish i had a camera to take a picture, this reminds me of the picture kyle posted a long time ago where he booted a computer and it went into a black screen and in the center of the screen said, "no" heh. i'm going to go try my windows xp disc, see if it can go boot to that right now.

Search microsofts support site (in the knowledge database) for "missing PCI.sys file" for whatever operating system you use. It'll tell you to put in the OS cd and run a recover and you can fix the problem from there most likely

i didnt try searching ms' website yet, but i will do that. i tried to boot from the xp cd that came with the laptop and i still got the asterisk error. i tried booting from the xp disk for my main rig and after 4 tries it goes into a blank blue screen and does nothing. i tried booting from the old windows 98se cd from my old computer, and works like a charm. i didnt go through with a full a reformat and clean install yet with that because i want to make sure i have fully researched this problem.

Back