Best heatsink that is easy to install?

contaminant

Limp Gawd
What is the best heat sink that is easy to install. I had, let's say "problems" with my typhoon, and although I am extremly happy with it, I do not feel like doing it again with my new(er) system. So what is a simple-to-install HS that will be significantly better than the stock. I am looking to OC with this, naturally. I will be using my spare Opteron 148 in this build.

the arctic cooling freezer 64 pro and the zalman cnps 9500 are both easy to install ;)

you wanna hear how easy the arctic cooling 64 pro is to put on ??
MY MOM PUT IT ON when i was cleaning the core on my video card and preping it for the ati silencer. i couldnt wait to rip off the stock ati cooling that i had her do the other boring stuff.

N H O said:
the arctic cooling freezer 64 pro and the zalman cnps 9500 are both easy to install ;)
While the 9500 is indeed easy, it still involves a screwdriver. The Freezer64 Pro is just clip-on and go.

contaminant said:
I want something I can overclock with, something that will keep my CPU cooler than stock.
the stock HEATPIPE one is really pretty good, but there are 2 stock coolers some really crappy just aluminium one, and then the heatpipe one that comes with x2 4400 and up i think.

munkle said:
the stock HEATPIPE one is really pretty good, but there are 2 stock coolers some really crappy just aluminium one, and then the heatpipe one that comes with x2 4400 and up i think.
Aha, well, I have the cruddy aluminum one. Need something better that is just as easy to install.

I have a ThermalTake A1772 on my X2 4400+. No OC'ing. Just out of curiosity, is it better enough (I know it's not that good, discovered after the fact) than the stock HSF to make a difference? It's got two heat pipes coming out of each side so I think it's the one you mean.

i've got a quick question...

what is the best cooler that uses the stock mounting hardware. i dont want to have to take the mobo out and use screws and what not to mount the hsf, i want something that mounts like stock but is a better performer. i was thinking of the arctic cooling freezer pro 64.

My Danger Den TDX was easy to install...
1. Unscrew top plate and remove.
2. Thread in long headless bolts.
3. Slide block onto the bolts.
4. Put on Washer, Spacer, Spring, Washer, Thumbscrew.
5. Tighten down thumbscrews.

Didn't even have to remove my motherboard.

The AMD X2 CPU comes with a heatpipe HS. I think you have the single core CPU an dthay's why have got the "cruddy aluminum one." BTW, you can pick up a AMD heatpipe cooler @ ebay for less than $15 + sh. Using the stock heatpipe HS, I am priming my Opty 165 as I am typing this. It is quiet and the temp is 45c @ 1.42v (idle @ 30c).

contaminant said:
Aha, well, I have the cruddy aluminum one. Need something better that is just as easy to install.

Your opty puts out very roughly the same heat as my winnie. I have the AMD heatpipe cooler and I'm running the rig in my sig 24/7 @ 1.52 vCore and seldom see temps in the 40C's even under load. Highest I've seen was 44 and that is after the 50% oc and the vCore bump. It idles in the 32-34 range. Probably the best cooler I've used on a price performance basis.

buzzly said:
The AMD X2 CPU comes with a heatpipe HS. I think you have the single core CPU an dthay's why have got the "cruddy aluminum one." BTW, you can pick up a AMD heatpipe cooler @ ebay for less than $15 + sh.
From all the research I've done, the AMD x2 3800 does NOT come with the heatpipe HS. X2 4200 and above.

grizzed said:
From all the research I've done, the AMD x2 3800 does NOT come with the heatpipe HS. X2 4200 and above.
The Dual Core Opterons come with Heatpipe coolers.

just buy the stock heatpipe cooler off ebay for 15 bux and then a 5 dollar fan
it will install exactly like what you have already done and will be far better performing.
remove old one put new one on and then close her up

easy as pie

Back