Best headset?

HardForumer

Limp Gawd
Looking for the best sound experience, might pick up a sound card later on but not now.
No more than $200 MSRP please.

I'm happy with my Astro A40's and Astro Mixamp even though the bass is minimal.

Not a bad setup. Go for 3.5mm headphones over USB.

I prefer open headphones, you get a larger sound stage/better 3d positioning. But closed cans like the 350 should provide deeper bass.

I am happy with my Xonar DX + AD-700. I got the sound card around 3yrs ago and the headphones within the past year. If I had to get a new sound card now it would be the Creative Titanium HD. I would still get the same cans or maybe consider the AD-900. They are light weight and airy. I like them.

GL

My brother just got the Sound Blaster Omega's - http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blas...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321634242&sr=1-1

True Digital Sound with PC only!
Wireless - Rechargeable - Amazing sound - Software to die for !

I would choose these if your looking for wireless, great sound and will be using it
with the PC mostly.

If you are going to be using the headset's with Consoles , then I would suggest the PX5's.
PX5's do require a bluetooth dongle so your mic will have PC support.
USB bluetooth dongles go for like 10 bucks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really enjoy the Corsair H1's.. I don't know how they compare to others but there is a good review on here that convinced me to purchase them.

I really enjoy the Corsair H1's.. I don't know how they compare to others but there is a good review on here that convinced me to purchase them.
Those get destroyed by non gamer $200 cans.

I have seen these for around $220 on the Amazon Marketplace.
Beyerdynamic MMX 300

They destroy all... headsets with mic.

As everyone has said the Sennheiser 360's are amazing! My cousin uses them, and they really are something to brag about.

At a lower price point I would also recommend a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s. I have a set I replaced my Sennheiser 555s with after they had an unfortunate run in with my husky, and I LOVE them. I can't say that I've ever regretted he switch.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So if you don't want to add a sound card, would the Astro mini-amp thing be worth getting to use with a pair of Sennheisers?

I don't have room to add any cards, but my board has optical out and of course, lost of USB ports...

I really love my Steelseries headset.

Its without a doub the most comfortable headset I have ever worn. The only problems is I have had to RMA it twice, they keep dieing and I am not sure why, so I would not recommend longevity of it lol.

I actually bought 2 headsets and they both come with usb sound cards, and then when one dies I RMA it and have the 2nd as a backup. But I love them for comfort and sound.

Its the SteelSeries Siberia V2.

I just picked up the Corsair HS1 on sale at New Egg; $44.99 with rebate. It is very comfortable, and very good if you don't have a dedicated sound card.

Every now and then you can find the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 for $200 at the Amazon Warehouse. Well worth the investment. These will destroy the PC350/PC360 cans. If you can live with using a clip on or desktop mic you will find a better headset for the same money.

So if you don't want to add a sound card, would the Astro mini-amp thing be worth getting to use with a pair of Sennheisers?

I don't have room to add any cards, but my board has optical out and of course, lost of USB ports...
You have room. You can install a 1x sound card in a 16x slot. That would be the last pcie slot on your mobo. I doubt the sli configuration is obstructing that slot.

Sennheiser PX 360 BT is a fabulous headset and should be within your budget of $200.

Grado SR225i. If you really want good sound skip the sound card and go USB or SPDIF DAC to a good headphone amp.

Grado SR225i. If you really want good sound skip the sound card and go USB or SPDIF DAC to a good headphone amp.
^This. If you like clean sound that doesn't have exaggerated bass, Grado is the way to go based on my personal experience. I have the sr225i plugged into a FiiO E7 DAC/Amp and use it for all my music, movies, and gaming. I never knew music could sound this good. It doesn't have a mic, but if I ever decide I need one I'll just get a clip-on.

As a general rule, headphones without mic have better sound than headsets, for the same price. A desktop microphone is always better, too. USB Logitech mic, and according to my experience, you can't go wrong with a nice $200 Sennheisers or Audio Technicas.

As a general rule, headphones without mic have better sound than headsets, for the same price. A desktop microphone is always better, too. USB Logitech mic, and according to my experience, you can't go wrong with a nice $200 Sennheisers or Audio Technicas.

^^^

As a general rule, headphones without mic have better sound than headsets, for the same price. A desktop microphone is always better, too. .

I don't think you could be more wrong if you tried. From my experience the exact opposite is true. Headsets with mics are usually better than desktop mics. Desktop mics tend to let in too much surrounding sound and have almost constant echo that needs many adjustments to correct. I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people to buy actual headsets rather than use their desktop mics when playing games and talking on TS, Vent, or Skype. Plus a good headset for gaming is usually going to cost less than buying good headphones + a good desktop mic and have far less hassle getting it all setup properly. Remember also that headsets are designed to have the mic right next to your jaw to pick up the sound close to your mouth and not all the extra background and acoustic noises from the room. A desktop mic is usually far from your mouth and will pick up much more background and acoustic noise from the room.

As for headphones vs headsets for the same price...hrm, let's think about that. If you add technology that ups the price. Now if you compared a headset to a headphone/mic combo for the same price, I can almost guarantee that the headset is going to be better for the same price as the combo.

In addition to that, in my experience there are a number of people that now use 2 setups, one machine for browsing, telephony, etc. and the other for gaming. In my setup I have a 5.1 speaker on my gaming system and then my laptop that does everything else has my Skype setup with my headset. My particular headset (Razer Barracuda) works excellent and doesn't pick up all the background noise from my speakers, even in my echo prone den.

So my personal opinion is definitely go for a headset with mic, and I agree with those getting the Sennheisers, which I think are the best choice for that combo.

PC360, DT770 or 990 (not 880) or AD700/900 series, HD555/558/595/598 are all cut for gaming.

What's with people recommending ATH-M50's and Grado's for gaming? Especially Grado's they have a beliemic sound presentation for gaming, they are only cut for bright and forward sound presentations such as listening to rock etc. M50's are not cut for gaming, they are closed and have a slight neutral with a bass hump equalisation not to mention very small soundstage and crap positioning compared to the other mentioned can's.

@OP, your pretty much going to have to check out some of headfi's threads either search or some of us that could be bothered linking you, just don't get suckered into the hype wagon and end up spending hundreds more then your already enough budget for thing's you don't need.

You can try gaming headphones there.

personally I have sennheiser HD515
Sennheiser-HD515-Gaming-G4ME_3.jpg

Lots of people like the 360s...anything better without a mic? I like the grados and ultrasone.

Pickup a set of Denon AHD2000 used... I got a set a couple years back for 200$ with very little use.. they are amazing! Heavy bass while keeping clarity. The Beyer 990 set is really good as well.

If you're on a budget you really can't go wrong with the Corsair H1's. Very comfy, very good sound, mic clarity is awesome, and sound isolation is better than I want it to be. I actually get annoyed by how I have to remove the headset to hear my wife when she's trying to talk to me. I originally wanted to get the Senn'360's but the price scared me away. Bought the H1's and couldn't be happier.

I have the beyerdynamics DT 990s and they are awesome, best headphones I have ever had and they work great with CMSS 3D. The sound quality is better than my old Corsair HS1's by a good margin and it still has the excellent sound stage with cleaner bass. Very good positional audio.

Will not be as accurate as the Audio Technica AD700s but I'm not playing FPS games here.

Gonna get some of those cans myself
paired with my new Essence STX.

Should be kick ass

Back