Best Headphones Without Amp?!

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I was wondereing what the best set of headphones was without an amp. I am willing to spend up to $100 for a set. These will be used on my computer. I'd like a pair that does not have overpowering bass, but where the bass compliments the other sounds. Also, I have no preference over open/closed.

Thanks!!!

Grado SR60 or SR80, but AUDITION some headphones before buying. My idea of "best" is different than the next person, etc. etc.

Wanna apply some electronic theory to this scenario and tell us just how much current it takes to drive said Grados to a comfortable level?

BTW do you ever read your pms on Head-fi? ;)
After my reply about the Dynahi PSU boards went unread for a month I deleted it ... but I did hold the boards for you so it might be a good idea for you to let me know if you still want them.

Mister X said:
Wanna apply some electronic theory to this scenario and tell us just how much current it takes to drive said Grados to a comfortable level?.
Um, who is this question directed at?

I'm going off of personal experience with the recommendation.

how about HD497's or PX100's
I've never heard the grado's, I've heard the PX100's and I just got the 497's but haven't had much listening time with them just yet.

AKG k501. Oh wait... UNAMPED. Oops.

Lisse... KSC-35/75s, PX100s.

Audio-Technica ATH-a500's, hands down but it's a little over 100 at audiocubes. Does not have overpowering thumping bass, and covers entire range of sound well. Feels comfortable, but can get hot because it isolates the entire ear.

For just about $100 you can also consider the Senn HD-280s, sold at newegg.

Senn PX-100s - 40$ under
Grado SR-60 - between a500 and px-100

Fine, but make sure to audition them first. If you don't, you may be sorry...

afropuff said:
where is a good place to do this at?
Guitar Center is a national chain, if I'm not mistaken. I know that they have HD 280s.

Another glowing recommendation for the Audio Technica A500s

Just above your price range, but they are very accurate, not too colored especially for the price.

I was in the same boat as you and was recommended the HD280s or the a500s. I went with the a500s and am extremely happy. They are VERY comfortable and sound great. The HD280s squeezed my head so tight, I almost passed out. Not really, but close. OK, not close, but they squeeze pretty tight. Not very comfortable to me for longer than 30 minutes at a time.

johngvo said:
I was in the same boat as you and was recommended the HD280s or the a500s. I went with the a500s and am extremely happy. They are VERY comfortable and sound great. The HD280s squeezed my head so tight, I almost passed out. Not really, but close. OK, not close, but they squeeze pretty tight. Not very comfortable to me for longer than 30 minutes at a time.

I think i'll be ordering a pair of a500s from Audiocubes. It's unfortunate more US stores don't carry brands like ATH.

hd280s aren't a great choice unless you need a really closed headphone - i.e., you need to block out a lot of external noise or make sure absolutely no noise leaks out of your headphones, for some reason. This isn't likely just for home listening. The a500s, Grados or Alessandro are all open phones with excellent sound that make far more sense.

(grados are very easy to drive - they all have 32ohm impedance, which is enough for just about anything labelled a 'headphone out'. They're way above safe listening levels at about 80% out of my Neuros, and at 100% would cause physical pain. head-fi people will tell you they sound better with an amp, of course, but then according to head-fi people *everything* sounds better with an amp.)

Well yes, that's because impedance is not a fixed value at all frequencies. The rated impedance only applies to a small range of frequencies. An amplifier would make sure that the headphone is well supported at the entire range of frequencies.

I wasn't saying that it's wrong, just that Grados are as good as anything is without an amp. Trust me, I've read enough debates / explanations about why amps are a Good Thing. :)

Oh, I read this,
head-fi people will tell you they sound better with an amp, of course, but then according to head-fi people *everything* sounds better with an amp.
and didn't know whether you were joking or just cynical. Maybe a little of both? ;)

I run my Grado SR60's straight out of my audigy board without an amp and it sounds superb. Its like going from VHS to HDTV. :)

the a500s are open phones? I have them and they look like closed phones to me.

xonik: neither exactly...just that head-fi people sort of assume that everyone at all will be entirely happy to buy, set up, power and carry around a headphone amp. even when it costs twice as much as the headphones. ah well, enthusiasts are the same everywhere. :)

Why dont you go out and buy a pair of headphones first (any of the ones listed in this post are all good...it comes down to what your ears like) and hook them up to your computer. If the sound isnt good enough, then go out and buy a amp. :)

http://headphonereviews.org/wizard.php

Sennheiser HD515 Dynamic Open Circumaural Single Plastic Dynamic US$70 1 (view)
AKG Acoustics K301 Dynamic Open Circumaural Double Plastic Dynamic US$90 0
Sony MDR-D66SL Dynamic Open Circumaural Double Plastic Dynamic US$90 1 (view)
AKG Acoustics K240M Dynamic Open Circumaural Double Plastic Dynamic US$95 0
AKG Acoustics K240S Dynamic Open Circumaural Double Plastic Dynamic US$105 2 (view)
Sennheiser HD555 Dynamic Open Circumaural Single Plastic Dynamic US$110 2 (view)
Beyerdynamic DTX 900 Dynamic Open Circumaural Single Plastic Dynamic US$120 1 (view)
AKG Acoustics K240DF Dynamic Open Circumaural Double Plastic Dynamic US$120 0
AKG Acoustics K401 Dynamic Open Circumaural Double Plastic Dynamic US$120 1 (view)

I recommend the Sennheiser HD555 (even unamped). They are currently on sale at newegg.com for $99 (with FREE Fedex shipping) down from $149+$5 shipping...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=26-106-392&depa=0

You cant mess with these headphones (especially at this price)... these are open and are no longer 120ohms. New 555s are 50ohms, which makes them much easier to drive with portables and unamped sources.

I'm looking for headphones in the same category. I'm trying to decide between the Audio Technica ATH-A500 and the Sennheiser HD555. I'll be using them mainly for Gaming and Watching DVDs. No amp or anything, just directly from my Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card. Which headphone will suite me better?

HD555 at 99$ is a no brainer... I would go for it, if I were you. I prefer open headphones for home listening.

However, for use in public places (like the library or something), I think the A500 would be a better choice so as to not bother your neighbors.

I think the 555 offer better soundstage due to the tilted (angled) drivers, which mimic speakers and their way of reproducing sound. However, I feel as if the a500 should offer more bass extension.

I would go with the 555, personally. In the end though, it's your call.

Ahhh screw it, I'm gonna spend the $200 and get me the Audio Technica ATH-A900.

Back