• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BEST headphone under $200

alex paik

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
392
what are the best headphones that i could get under $200.. im in the market for some dj quality headphones but dont know where to start looking.. was looking towards sony but dont know which one is good.. let me know
 
Open or closed?
Needs an amp or not?
For what kind of music?
What's the source?

FYI "DJ quality" doesn't mean much. ;)
 
hmm, i really dont know much about headphones.. im assuming open or closed means if it covers your ears or not.. i was looking for one that covers your whole ear.. soo closed.. no amp.. just games, and all kinds of music and movies.. i dont know what you mean about what's the source.. thanks!
 
Open phones leak sound and let outside noises in.
Closed phones isolate you from external noise and they usually don't leak a whole lot of sound.

The source is the device the sound comes from. ;)

I asked about the amp because every single pair of headphones I have ever owned has benefited substantially from a dedicated headphone amplifier.

If you still think closed phones are right for you I would suggest you check out the Audio Technica ATH-A900s
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A900_Art_Headphones.html
 
you dont want closed if you care about comfort and will be wearing them for a long time. Open lets in air and is much more comfortable, and has a more relaxed and open sound stage.

I have sennheiser HD 590, got them for $150 a couple years ago and they are great. My friend recently got 595 and they are even better. You can find a deal by keeping your eye open on the internet.....
 
you dont want closed if you care about comfort and will be wearing them for a long time. Open lets in air and is much more comfortable, and has a more relaxed and open sound stage.


Let me see if I got this right....
You are saying my Grado SR225s are more comfortable then my HD280s are just because they are open?

And you are also saying they have a wider soundstage then the Sennheisers because they are open phones?
 
Ehh, just b/c Senn is open and comfortable (to some people at least) does not necessarily mean that all open is comfortable.

I was a previous Grado SR225 owner and man those weren't exactly pillows on your head. Grados are open as well btw =D. I believe he was talking about the difference between supraaural and circumaural.

(Circum being the case where the phones actually surround your ear).
 
DJ= closed headphones

Id recommend the Audio Technica
ATH-500 or ATH-900


Audiocubes sells them.. Truly awsome and will outdo those senhissers without an amp.,
 
If I were to buy another headphone in the sub 200$ range, I would strive to listen to the Sennheiser HD595, HD580, and HD600.
I would compare these against the Beyerdynamic DT990pro's and DT931's.

I currently have access to HD590 V3, HD280pro, and DT990pro (older 600ohm version). I prefer the DT990pro's over my HD590's. They liven up the music much more, and the bass is better. To hear a low piano note and bass drum together is like night and day.

I know the beyerdynamic DT990pro's can be had for 170$us. So can the Beyer DT770pro's which are the closed version of the DT990pro.

Like I said though, try and listen to them, see how they feel, and look at the build quality.

~Hope this helps
 
The Sennheisers and Beyers being talked about are definately nice. Personally I have some 590s and am quite happy with them for use on my pc and there are two main reasons.

1) They are very comfortable imo. This is important!
2) They do not suffer as much as many high end headphones when you don't use a dedicated headphone amp, which I really don't want to mess with.
3) I got them for $100 new. :p
 
Scotch77 said:
DJ= closed headphones

Id recommend the Audio Technica
ATH-500 or ATH-900


Audiocubes sells them.. Truly awsome and will outdo those senhissers without an amp.,

Amen brother! Amen.
 
Mister X said:
Let me see if I got this right....
You are saying my Grado SR225s are more comfortable then my HD280s are just because they are open?

And you are also saying they have a wider soundstage then the Sennheisers because they are open phones?

Did i mention those models in my post? no...

But while you bring it up. I bought a pair of hd280s, and they are the precise reason i say closed are less comfortable generally. They clamped down on my head and were hot. Not good for long gaming sessions. I ebayed them, got the 590s, and am much better off comfort and sound quality wise
 
saqdeez said:
Did i mention those models in my post? no...

But while you bring it up. I bought a pair of hd280s, and they are the precise reason i say closed are less comfortable generally. They clamped down on my head and were hot. Not good for long gaming sessions. I ebayed them, got the 590s, and am much better off comfort and sound quality wise
`My dad has hD280pro's, and just the other day he was itching his ears because of the "swamp effect", just after listening to two cd's.

Don't worry saqdeez, most of us got what you were trying to say. All things being equal, open headphones are eaiser to wear then closed ones for me too. When you can wear them and forget they're on your head... well... that's a true testimate to how comfortable they are.
 
saqdeez said:
Did i mention those models in my post? no...

Did you mention any specific models or did you just make a generalized comment? ;)


saqdeez said:
But while you bring it up. I bought a pair of hd280s, and they are the precise reason i say closed are less comfortable generally. They clamped down on my head and were hot. Not good for long gaming sessions. I ebayed them, got the 590s, and am much better off comfort and sound quality wise

Nice specific example.... that is a lot different then generalized comment now isn't it? ;)
 
towert7 said:
All things being equal, open headphones are eaiser to wear then closed ones for me too.
If all things were equal wouldn't they be the same? :p
 
Mister X said:
If all things were equal wouldn't they be the same? :p
Just from reading text, im not sure if you get a kick out of poking fun at people, or if you really just don't catch these expressions.

I hope its the first case. ^_^ But if its not, I don't blame you....... its this "internet" thing that I blame.

And why yes, if all things being equal, equal things are the same.

:D
 
towert7 said:
Just from reading text, im not sure if you get a kick out of poking fun at people, or if you really just don't know these expressions.

How would you if you don't ask?
Let me make it easy for you to understand.
See this smiley :p ?
What does it mean?

towert7 said:
I hope its the first case. ^_^
What if it is neither? :p

towert7 said:
And why yes, if all things being equal, equal things are the same.

:D
If equal things are the same how can they be different? :D
 
I personally can't stand the A900's, but it is all about personal preference. I would definately suggest auditioning anything you are thinking about buying first. My recommendation for a closed headphone under $200 would be the AKG K271S. They sound great unamped, but they really shine with a good dedicated headphone amplifier.
 
Back
Top