Best HDTV for less than $1000?

icetrey47

Limp Gawd
In your opinions, what would you suggest as the best option for an HDTV in today's market? It will be used primarily for gaming and DVDs, and the lower the cost the better. Links providing detailed info on specific models, and/or reviews, are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i guess i should add that i'm mostly interested in LCDs ... however i'm open to suggestions on other formats as well. it definitely has to support at least 720p though.

Jawad said:
wow, what a dumb reply. yes CRT is great quality, but its old technology now. it only displays 1080i, and not 720P, so when hooked up to a PS3, it will downscale to 480p or i

Thats not the CRTs fault, thats the shatty PS3's fault.

Jawad said:
wow, what a dumb reply. yes CRT is great quality, but its old technology now. it only displays 1080i, and not 720P, so when hooked up to a PS3, it will downscale to 480p or i

Uh oh. Old sucky 1080i technology!

So do you know anything first hand, or do you just regurgitate shit you hear on the internet?

in all honesty for a few hundred more you can opt to get the much talked about 37" Westinghouse

Last weekend, I ordered the Westinghouse LTV-32w6 for $600 with free shipping. It's supposed to be a fairly decent LCD for the money.

Jawad said:

Wow, what a dumb reply. The 34" HDTV in question can display 720p in addition to 1080i.

Do your research; the PS3 upscale issue is applicable for older HDTV's that cannot display 720p.

deception``

I would take a better look at that CRT...at 8' or more, it will look stunning in 1080i.

Deception: I would have loved to agree with you, but sadly, the TV does upscale 720p to 1080i.

re: crt's being "old" technology.

Guess which technology has the best picture quality. CRT. Period. I get so tired of the "but omg I can't hang it on my wall so its old lol" crowd.

LCD and the rest of the tv technologies have taken great leaps forward and make for great viewing experience, but nothing beats CRT for picture quality.

The PS3's faults do not negate the picture quality of a given tv. I must be crazy though because my 360 looks incredible on my sony 970 @ 720p.

The TV does not display 720p natively. It converts all 720p signals to 1080i. If you have doubt, I suggest going to AVS Forum and to verify it.

THE PS3 WORKS FINE WITH THAT TV. IT IS NOT DOWNCOVERTED!

Sorry for the caps but people can't seem to read lower case letters. :p

But yes, you will not get better PQ than that TV... (well actually the 955 or 960 versions were better but they aren't made anymore)

I wasn't arguing the fact that is displays PS3 correctly, you said that it displayed 720p (which it doesn't). I don't know if it displays PS3 correctly :D

And yes, the PQ is phenomenal (2nd only to models with SFP tubes, such as XS955, XBR960, XBR910)

Technoob said:
LCD and the rest of the tv technologies have taken great leaps forward and make for great viewing experience, but nothing beats CRT for picture quality.
Tell me about it, I just moved from a top end (6 year old) 19" crt monitor to a widescreen LCD and I'm hating it...

Given the choice I wish I could have got a bigger crt. Not even saving any useable space cos I have a corner desk. :(

TheOmniscientCreator said:
The TV does not display 720p natively. It converts all 720p signals to 1080i. If you have doubt, I suggest going to AVS Forum and to verify it.
I know that... but it doesn't downconvert as others suggested...

I never said it displays it natively... it ACCEPTS it...

Only TV's that DON'T ACCEPT 720p have the downconverting issue...

TheOmniscientCreator said:
I wasn't arguing the fact that is displays PS3 correctly, you said that it displayed 720p (which it doesn't). I don't know if it displays PS3 correctly :D

And yes, the PQ is phenomenal (2nd only to models with SFP tubes, such as XS955, XBR960, XBR910)
I never said it "displayed" it natively... but it does indeed accept it...

I have the 30XS955... with the Super Fine Pitch... it's sechz :cool:

Indeed, the Super Fine Pitch series is incredible.

The TV does accept 720p signals....BUT IT DOES NOT DISPLAY THEM!

The scaler, if it were to actually display 720p, would cost thousands alone :eek:

I realize it upconverts to 1080i but my comments were more targeted towards "Jawad" who is spreading mis-information...

I apologize if I sounded a bit harsh, but I wanted to make sure everyone realized this before they went to Best Buy and asked a "customer service" guy. :cool:

buy.com Olevia 42" 720p LCD for 980 w/ google checkout today

westinghouse 42" for 999 at best buy on black friday... couldn't tell if it was the 1080p or not.

the sceptre and westinghouse 37" 1080p's are also very good deals

I bought a XBR970 today for $950 + tax.

Its picture quality was, by far, better than anything else on display at CC and Sears. Yes, better even than the $2000 - $4000 plasma and LCDs they had. It really was not even close. The CRT image simply looked cleaner.

Whether it's upscaling, downscaling, or whatever it's doing to 720p, it makes little difference to me. All I know is Nature looked absolutely fantastic tonight in HD, as did Desperate Grouchwives. MNF comes on tomorrow, so we'll see how it handles sports.

One thing, this TV is HEAVY and it takes up quite a bit of space. In that regard, it definitely isn't for everyone.

Welcome to the 970 club :p

It nearly broke the back of the two guys who delivered it to my house, and I'll never move it, but damn it looks fine.

Jawad said:

No no no.

Thats TV's that don't accept 720p, not display. That TV accepts 720p and the TV will natively upconvert to 1080i. This whole issue is way overblown and not being correctly stated. Unless you have a TV that basically doesn't know what in the hell a 720p signal is, you won't have that issue.

That issue is going to be relegated to people who bought early, EARLY, HDTV's that only accepted 480p/i and 1080i signals. Mostly CRT Projo's and Big Tubes.

The Sony xbr970 accepts 720p and will display it at it's native resolution, 1080i.

Want to test it out, hook up any upconverting DVD player or Xbox 360 to your HDTV, and set the output to 720p. If it doesn't scramble the screen, or display an error, then it doesn't have a problem.

Technoob said:
Welcome to the 970 club :p

It nearly broke the back of the two guys who delivered it to my house, and I'll never move it, but damn it looks fine.
I love my huge and heavy, back breaking XBR 970, got it in the house and all the way up to the stand by myself! Everyone who has the stand to support that TV, anybody with the room for it, should buy that TV.

Submitter, definitely check it out. Beats the pants off any LCD for display quality (I have both, leave me be!)

Long live the tube!

Kahnvex said:
No no no.

Thats TV's that don't accept 720p, not display. That TV accepts 720p and the TV will natively upconvert to 1080i. This whole issue is way overblown and not being correctly stated. Unless you have a TV that basically doesn't know what in the hell a 720p signal is, you won't have that issue.

That issue is going to be relegated to people who bought early, EARLY, HDTV's that only accepted 480p/i and 1080i signals. Mostly CRT Projo's and Big Tubes.

The Sony xbr970 accepts 720p and will display it at it's native resolution, 1080i.

Want to test it out, hook up any upconverting DVD player or Xbox 360 to your HDTV, and set the output to 720p. If it doesn't scramble the screen, or display an error, then it doesn't have a problem.

yep, same thing applies to my Toshiba 46H84 CRT Proj HDTV, it has two settings in the menu for output, 540p and 1080i, but you can hook a 360 or upconverting DVD player or digital cable HD receiver to it via HDMI or Component and set any one of them to output 720p to the TV, and it displays the image just fine

one thing i have noticed though is the picture seems a bit darker......which is typical of a progressive image next to an interlaced image, but i wonder if my TV actually will display a 720p image when fed, because when accepting a 720p signal, it also wont let you use the screen manipulation options like the "Theater Wide" modes or "Full" or "Natural", when you try to access those options it says "not available"......or could it just be that when it is fed a 1080i or 480p/i signal that they are available only because the integrated TV deinterlacer is deinterlacing the image???

well anyways getting back on topic. I was trying to get a pretty good deal under a grand on an LCD HD TV as well over the summer. I was going to get the westinghouse 27inch lcd from BB, but found the Polaroid 32inch for $200 cheaper at WalMart.

Here it is: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4529489

It is a 720p screen that downgrades the 1080i to 720p, both look great, it has HDMI, all the inputs you really need, though i do with it had DVI, but VGA is alright i guess. Overall the picture qualtiy compared to Vizio and others in the price range is excellent when seen side by side. I really an impressed with this set for its price.

Come black Friday you will be able to get a really good TV for less than $1000 and some of them are going to be 42".

For Example here are some BF Deals on TVs you may want to check out:
Westinghouse 42" 720p LCD HDTV (W4207) @ Best Buy - $999
Panasonic 52" LCD Projection HDTV (PT-52LCX66) @ Circuit City - $999
Polaroid 40" Flat Panel HD LCD TV (FLM-4034B) @ Circuit CIty - $999
Sony Bravia 32" LCD Flat Panel HDTV @ CompUSA - $999
Toshiba 42HM66 42" TheaterWide DLP HDTV @ Sears - $999
42" Widescreen Plasma HDTV with HD Tuner @ Wal-Mart - $988
Protron 37" Widescreen LCD HDTV with ATSC Tuner (PLTV3750) @ Sears - $949
Hitachi 51" Widescreen HDTV @ Best Buy - $699

That is just a few out of probably 500 TV deals you will find that day. You should definately wait and see.

CopyCat said:
Come black Friday you will be able to get a really good TV for less than $1000 and some of them are going to be 42".

For Example here are some BF Deals on TVs you may want to check out:
Westinghouse 42" 720p LCD HDTV (W4207) @ Best Buy - $999
Panasonic 52" LCD Projection HDTV (PT-52LCX66) @ Circuit City - $999
Polaroid 40" Flat Panel HD LCD TV (FLM-4034B) @ Circuit CIty - $999
Sony Bravia 32" LCD Flat Panel HDTV @ CompUSA - $999
Toshiba 42HM66 42" TheaterWide DLP HDTV @ Sears - $999
42" Widescreen Plasma HDTV with HD Tuner @ Wal-Mart - $988
Protron 37" Widescreen LCD HDTV with ATSC Tuner (PLTV3750) @ Sears - $949
Hitachi 51" Widescreen HDTV @ Best Buy - $699

That is just a few out of probably 500 TV deals you will find that day. You should definately wait and see.

agreed, i know i got my Toshiba 46H84 46" HDTV about a year or so ago for $1000, i have seen it going for $800 +/- these days, it's not DLP or LCOS or LCD, it's big and heavy, it's a CRT Projector, but if space isn't a big deal, it has a very nice picture, better than many LCD's

Back