Best Hdrive for a boot drive?

MastaKilla

Gawd
Hey guys, im upgrading my computer finally.. a64 3200+ , 6800gt.. etc. Currently have 2 80gb se wd drives.. but i want a new sata drive as a boot drive.. and the drive i run my games off and stuff.. lookin to spend up to 150.. what u guys recomend?

definately the 74gig raptor drive..i have one..its fast..it took about 5 minutes to install windows..no joke

raptor it is :) maybe prices will suddenly drop one of these days! still waitin on the announced amd price drops

hey bro, I just bought a 74gig. raptor... it arrived today, hopefully I'll install it either tomorrow or Saturday.

Damn night shift.

Anyway, Ill let you know what I think of it.

I've been asking myself the same question as well for a week or so.

My current situation is a 120gb 8mb Seagate and an 80gb 2mb Seagate.
the 120 is my boot drive, and the 80 is my storage drive.

I now need the full 200 for storage, so I want a new boot drive, doesn't have to be all that large, the 74gb of a raptor is more than enough for Windows/Games/Apps. Problem is, I can't find anywhere to get a raptor for a decent price that can get it to me in Canada (I wish I could cash in on newegg's $175 - $25MIR deal :( )
I've also hear the raptor is quite loud, and since my 2 seagates are dead silent, Im worried about the change in noise level.

So, with the Raptor out of the way (unless I get convinced yet again that I want one) what would you reccomend for a fairly speedy boot drive? I have used up all 4 IDE device slots on my mobo (NF7S) so I'd rather get a SATA drive.

An 80gb drive will be enough for me, but are the larger capacity SATA drives faster in any way?
Speed is much more important than Capacity, are the Maxtors faster than Seagates?

Edit: I'm very interested in this drive:
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 SERIAL ATA 120GB EIDE 7200RPM 8MB 9MS 3.5LP
its only $16 more than
SEAGATE SERIAL ATA 80GB 7200RPM 9MS 8MB OEM HD

I got a 74gb as well. Over $2/gb but honestly you're not spending a massive amount. You're getting a super fast harddrive that is awesome for your OS and apps. I plan to get a 160-200gb storage SATA drive soon for files.

If you can't afford the 74gb raptor you can get the 36 one (I believe its 36) to keep your OS and most important apps on. 10k RPMs own.

Back