Best HDD backup software... to DVD...

mattjbak

Gawd
I have no access to an external harddrive at the time and have sold my computer to be shipped thursday. I really need to backup a large amount of data, and am guessing that dvd is my only option. What is the best possible software to ensure that my data will be backed up correctly and be easily recoverable on another harddrive?

Thanks

Are we talking just a data backup (meaning your personal files, pics, movies, etc) or an entire hard drive image so you can restore that later on and pick up right where you left off?

It sounds like you just want some data backup software, not imaging stuff. Honestly at this point I just use Nero personally, for regular data backup duties. When I acquire enough stuff that fits on a DVD (DVD5, meaning about 4.3GB of data) I then burn it off on a DVD+R blank and label it accordingly. I've got BACKUP_01 through BACKUP_42 so far, tons of stuff that I go back to on occasion for various reasons, but those 42 DVDs were done over the course of the past 2 years or so.

My philosophy, based on 3 decades of using PCs of various kinds (including Macs recently), and most every OS ever made is: if it's worth having on the computer, it's worth backing up, so I do it nearly religiously. If I download something, then it gets burned either to DVD+R or DVD+RW. If I thought it was worth getting, it's worth backing up.

I'm sure others can offer more advice on specific software since I don't use that stuff. Veritas was the last "backup" software I did use but that was years ago, and I'm not even sure if they're in business anymore. Retrospect is another name I hear quite often, also.

Terabyte 'Image for Windows' and 'Image for DOS' are excellent. Both are packaged at $28.

I use IFW to image my Windows partition to DVD media (image is created from within Windows). IFD is required to restore the Windows partition. I've successfully restored my Windows partition 5 times with this software.

I recently purchased Acronis TrueImage 10, but have only used it to clone an older HD to a larger new HD. It did that flawlessly, but I haven't tried any image/recover operation with the Acronis software.

Hope this helps!

Copy - Past :D
live can be so simple sometimes. Apart from image software there is not realy a real good backup prog. only some synchronize progs.

Why can't you just start burning DVDs of your important data?

Back