best hardware for VoIP setup?

so a friend of mine has had a vonage account for years that just expired today and he asked if i had any recommendations. I have been experimenting with a paid service on my hd2 using voip sip. what would be the best but cheap hardware to connect to his broadband router? any suggestions welcome

You mean an ATA?

The Linksys/Sipura stuff is super easy to get, cheap, and works well. I've used the PAP2-NA with voip.ms and it's fine. You don't get any fancy call routing or anything, but if you're just using a single provider and a basic home setup it's just fine.

well looks like as much as I hate too do it I may have to recommend to him something from best buy or that he continue on vonage. I talked with him and his average monthly usage is 75-100 hours a month usage. He talks to his girlfriend in north carolina way too much and his mom calls viet nam and talks with family for hours. The cheapest independent voip charges 9 tenths of a cent and with their talk total time only an unlimited plan would be cost effective.

Why not get Skype for those 2x long distance calls? Might work for at least his girlfriend....not sure if his mom in Vietnam has a computer/broadband.

I use CallCentric here at the house, with a Linksys/Cisco SPA2102. Works great.

Are you asking for a VoIP service or VoIP device?

You mentioned your friends Vonage account expired so I guess you are looking for a VoIP service. Well your friend can try Onesuite, a prepaid long distance with VoIP service. If your friend can or has an unlocked Vonage ATA device, then he can use it with Onesuite or any other VoIP service (well almost all, not on Skype though) he may choose.

but then when he told me the amount he uses it I sort of opened up to suggestions. They use a calling card that gets them minutes for seven cents each to viet nam. Because of his excessive use, only an unlimited voip plan would be an adequate substitute for vonage. Is there a way to unlock his vonage box? And does skype have any way to be used without a computer?

I think most of the Vonage boxes can be 'unlocked' to varying degrees. Which one does he have?

There are some Skype branded phones around, I've seen them at Best Buy. I think mobile phone clients too. But not really any 'open' way to do it.

Where is he looking for unlimited calling to? What current rate is he trying to beat?

Back