Best hardware for editting and encoding?

blade52x

2[H]4U
Current system specs:
  • 8086k at 5.2ghz
  • 64gb DDR4 at 3.6ghz
  • 3TB NVMe SSD active storage
Amazing for gaming, but trying to edit and then encode 8K video in Adobe Premiere Pro CC is painfully slow.

Video file sizes:
  • 7680 × 4320 at 60fps
  • 7680 × 7680 (3D) at 30fps
If I don't edit the video, encoding by itself isn't too bad right now. It's maybe 10 minutes of processing per minute of video. But once I start adding things like color adjustments, or a denoiser, the processing time jumps significantly to on the order of a day for a 10 minute video.

I'm pretty new to video editing and encoding and am wondering if I need something more workstation grade, or maybe even dual socket to reduce these times?

The fastest cpu for encoding I think is an i9-7960X followed by the Threadripper 2990WX. Not cheap thou lol

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
The fastest cpu for encoding I think is an i9-7960X followed by the Threadripper 2990WX. Not cheap thou lol

Yup. And you'd probably want to stick with Intel if you're going to use Premier.

I'm pretty new to video editing and encoding and am wondering if I need something more workstation grade, or maybe even dual socket to reduce these times?

I'm going to suggest something different: try Davinci Resolve, and try running it on Linux, which you can do from a USB stick. Also share your GPU setup.

Davinci relies heavily on graphics cards rather than processors. It’s nice. Adobe premiere uses a fair bit of grunt, what suits you better depends on your workload..

Back