Best Handheld Computer

Erau

Gawd
I was thinking of the newest HP Pocket PC but then I came across so many complaints, on sites like epinions for example. Mainly 1. that they break down and 2. that tech support/service is horrible (via India).

Palm seems too basic for my needs. I need speed, power to run apps, stability, reliability, at least 3 hours battery time and ruggedness.

Seems like the only main players are HP and Dell.

What do you think? Please help. Thanks.

I think the ipaq 4355 is the best on the market. Better than the 5555 IMO. The thumb board and compact size of the 4355 are both better aspects than the extra memory and biometric security of the 5555, IMO...

Edit: I'd definitely look at the newest axim handheld...it's a nice device for a great price. Actually, this device might even be the best on the market.

Edit: I'd definitely look at the newest axim handheld...it's a nice device for a great price. Actually, this device might even be the best on the market.

Agreed.
I've had the new Axim X30 for a couple of weeks now and have been quite pleased with it. I think it will fit your needs nicely.

I've got an Axim X5 that I bought off someone in Trade forum. It is excellent. I like it better than the newer Axim models because it has both CF and SD slots; however, it doesn't have SDIO but with the CF slot that's not a problem.

It may be bigger than the X3 or X30, but the extra slot is nice.

If I were getting a new PDA though, I wouldn't balk at the X30.

simple question...

Can I transfer data, like .pdf files, between the Axim X30 and a laptop using a standard USB cable?

I'm not experienced with mobile computing.

Thanks

I've had an Axim X5 for a year and a half now, and I love it. I can't believe Dell has actually made a well performing, affordable, solid device.

IPAQ 4155, sweet spot between size and power. Built in WiFi, SDIO Slot and 64MB Ram. Small footprint.

the ipaq 4150 is a total rip off thouigh, 64MB RAM and 32 ROM.. come on its friggin $600CDN!!!!!!!!!!

the axim X30 top of the line has strataflash memory 64/64 with wifi and blue tooth for $450CDN,

plus the wifi program included with the 4150 looks like a 2 year old drew it with crayons

Erau said:
simple question...

Can I transfer data, like .pdf files, between the Axim X30 and a laptop using a standard USB cable?

I'm not experienced with mobile computing.

Thanks

Yes, they have a USB sync cable you can buy. You can also call when you order and substitute the cable for the crade for some $$ off if you don't want the cradle.

The X30 has builtin bluetooth and wifi. Seems those are more elegant syncing solutions than the cable.

It all depends on what you want the device for. The Dell X30 is fairly decent, screen is nice and bright and the new Xscale CPU really flies in 624MHz trim. However, if you think you might want to use it as a multimedia device and for web browsing, I wouldn't get the X30. There will be plenty of PDAs using the new Intel chip soon enough, and it's worth waiting for PDAs with full VGA screens (great for productivity and web browsing - i love my PDA, but the QVGA simply isnt enough) and the new video chips from Intel, NV and ATI. If you just want a PDA for outlook contacts and calendar and keeping short notes and playing music, a bottom of the range X30 with a nice fat SD card will be very satisfactory.

Thanks for the help people. I ordered an Axim 30. As always I trust the people on this site, ever since I started building my first comp (like many here :)).

How about the new Sandisk Ultra II SD cards. Any problems using these in the Axim 30 instead of the regular SanDisk SD cards? I was wondering because Dell doesn't offer them in the Axim configurator on their site.

don't buy a card from dell, only get the base X30, if you want to get a card at the very min get a 32x speed SD card, the sandisk ultra's are pretty quick but they are way too expensive on most sites, try tigerdirect.com or tigerdirect.ca if you are in canada, also be prepared to wait a while for your axim as they are on backorder, took 3 weeks to get mine but well worth it

Ok thanks dude. Good advice.

One question, can you charge 2 batteries simultaneously with the USB cradle? ie. charge one battery in the battery slot and the second through the Axim by putting the Axim in it's slot? I don't see anything about this in the manual.

Yep, sure can. I do it every day.
It's just like you said, one will charge in a "spare battery" slot in the cardle, while the other one charges while installed in the Axim itself.
If you are looking for an extended battery, search eBay for "Mugen Axim".

Back