Best GPU story I've heard all day...

Star Fox

Limp Gawd
Of course you do.
I know, because I was once in your position, but now I know the secret to getting cheap computer stuff.

This story will explain:
I went over to my dad's uber-rich friend's house to watch football today, and he asks me to try and fix his Dual-Monitor setup. Normally, I'd try to weasel my way out of it and go swimming in his pool or something, but he also mentioned his new dell XPS-700 with a e6800 conroe had just come in...so I accepted his request.
I went into his office, and found myself awestruck...
When he said, "dual-monitor setup", he didn't just mean, "two 19" screens"...he had 2 (TWO) huge 30 (THIRTY) in (INCH) widescreens. After I finished wiping my drool off his keyboard, I got to work.
A little troubleshooting (a.k.a. google-searching) revealed than his Dual 7900 GTX cards couldn't run two monitors whilst working in SLi mode. So, I disabled SLi, enabled the 2nd monitor, and then told him that Dual-Screen doesn't work in SLi. He asked me why he needed two cards if they weren't running in SLi, I said he didn't need the other one unless he was only going to use one of his 30in screens.

So he says, "Since I'm not using it, would you want to buy it off me for $250?"

Knowing rich people is the best way to get free/cheap stuff.

I hope you fully explained that it would give him a huge benefit in games if he ran full options on one thirty inch. If not awesome deal!

Nice man! i remember once i was at a local computer shop and some customer came by telling everyone how his wife screwed him over and is taking there kids so he wanted to unload her computer from her ...(she was a big time gamer and at the time geforce 2 ultra was the 7950 ) the computer store offered him only 250 for her computer as is ..he then turned looked at me and said "hey you wanna buy this computer for 400 bucks? i was like "no thanks" then he asked "well i dont know alot about computers but i know this video card was 500 dollars " i was like "I will give ya 125 bucks for the geforce 2 ultra" he said and paused then said "you know what ..screw it ..i hate that bitch" lol i got a wicked card dirt cheap i was so happy.

BinaryApe said:
I hope you fully explained that it would give him a huge benefit in games if he ran full options on one thirty inch. If not awesome deal!

Yeah I told him, but he doesn't play any PC games, he just uses it for work/entertainment.

Star Fox said:
Yeah I told him, but he doesn't play any PC games, he just uses it for work/entertainment.

Wow e6800 and 7900GTX's In SLI for "entertainment"

Shava said:
Wow e6800 and 7900GTX's In SLI for "entertainment"

no kidding...i just customized one with the specs you gave me and the ones dell already had chosen the price was $4,149 and that's without the 30" LCDs (it did have a choice for one and it was like $1,600). that's insane, and just for entertainment...man, i wish i had more money than sense (wait, no i don't).

oh, nice deal btw.

biggles said:
I'd stay away from the factory recertified 7900 gts, they have had many problems and you do not get the lifetime warranty either. Better to spend $50 more on a new one.
more like $70.

Spend about 10 minuts on the phone with EVGA after you find out you have a bad one and you'll have a new one shiped to you next day (worked for me).

Well, the guy is a Dell Small Business reseller, (I usually work for him configuring new XP installs and installing AVG, Adobe Reader, Firefox, etc. on client PCs), and I'm pretty sure he gets everything from dell at like 60-75% retail (something like that...their distributor discounts are sweet).
But, yeah, he's uber-rich and just bought it because it was the best he could buy.
He's got like 6 widescreen LCD tvs in his house, a retracting 100in home theater screen, 2 home servers, and about 150 19" LCDs, 25 new PCs, 30 printers, 75 commercial laser toner cartidges, and 300 keyboard/mice combos. That's just the boxed stuff from Dell (not including all of the stuff he bought other places and keeps in his workshop). It's a really sweet job, because I get paid in components (usually avg. +$15 worth an hour).

Star Fox said:
Well, the guy is a Dell Small Business reseller, (I usually work for him configuring new XP installs and installing AVG, Adobe Reader, Firefox, etc. on client PCs), and I'm pretty sure he gets everything from dell at like 60-75% retail (something like that...their distributor discounts are sweet).
But, yeah, he's uber-rich and just bought it because it was the best he could buy.
He's got like 6 widescreen LCD tvs in his house, a retracting 100in home theater screen, 2 home servers, and about 150 19" LCDs, 25 new PCs, 30 printers, 75 commercial laser toner cartidges, and 300 keyboard/mice combos. That's just the boxed stuff from Dell (not including all of the stuff he bought other places and keeps in his workshop). It's a really sweet job, because I get paid in components (usually avg. +$15 worth an hour).

that makes sense. oh, what's his address? and don't look at me if he finds stuff missing ;)

Back