Best GPU for component video output?

daws0n

Weaksauce
I need a XBMC compatible device that outputs 480p component video for my old non HDMI TV. My trusty XBOX 1 has been doing the job for years but it's showing it's age now - I would like something with a bit more power that generates less fan noise.

An Apple TV G1 seems like a good choice and so does the android based ATV1200.... However I've a few old PC parts kicking around an am tempted to built something suitable out of spare parts instead.

Component video is a requirement, so I am a bit stuck on the GPU front. I have a 2 boards here I can utilise in small form factor cases, one with PCI connectivity and the other with a PCI-E (low profile) slot. The PCI-E one is the better choice of the two, are there any modern day cards that still output component video? I read ATI cards are the best for flexibility, any recommendations guys? 3D performance not an issue so ideally passive.

Thanks!

Any card with dvi + dvi to component adapter, ~$10. Here's one. https://2015.sewelldirect.com/dvivideoadapter

I believe the above requires your dvi port to output analog signals as well. If your card came with a dvi - vga adapter, it does. You can also find vga to component adapters, which might be more likely to work.

Last edited:
Any card with dvi + dvi to component adapter, ~$10. Here's one. https://2015.sewelldirect.com/dvivideoadapter

I believe the above requires your dvi port to output analog signals as well. If your card came with a dvi - vga adapter, it does. You can also find vga to component adapters, which might be more likely to work.
Those passive adapters will only work with video cards that have VIVO capability. I believe it was specifically designed to work with certain ATi video cards. You cannot passively convert the RGB video signal from DVI-I to the YPbPr signal used by component. You need an active adapter.

Just tried out kodi on my main PC - the software has come quite a way since the pre-camelot days. I've decided a ht-pc based replacment is the way to go as I can keep using an Xbox (360) pad for the interface that way - still beats a keyboard or remote IMO.

I've a nice i5 based itx board/case here that I fixed up a few months back. It outputs HDMI natively so an ideal candidate for your conversion suggestion... It's either that or a larger case/older build that could accommodate a high profile hd3xxx / hd4xxx GPU (I believe they can output component via a 7 pin s-video port + appropriate dongle)

Back