Best gigabit WAN router for small business VOIP usage?

minc3d

Gawd
Hey everyone,

I have a small business customer that is on the hunt for a new small business level router. While they are staying OK on a current consumer level gigabit WAN Netgear box, we are eager to implement something much better. After giving a Zyxel USG50 a try, we had a nightmare with their VOIP provider, Vocalocity, that doesn't like to have SIP ALG turned on (which Zyxel says is a requirement for their USG boxes to work with SIP service). I was curious if any of you had recommendations on great gigabit WAN small business routers (not UTMs of any sort).

Here is their setup:

* 1 incoming WAN connection from a fiber provider called Sidera. They are achieving over 100Mbps currently and their provider Sidera REQUIRES us to have a gigabit WAN capable router in order to match the duplex and speed of their enteprise switches.
* About 8-12 office computers.
* About 8-10 VOIP desk phones through Vocalocity (Cisco SPA phones using SIP service, all cloud hosted - a Zyxel USG50 wreaked havoc on the service).

We are looking for something in the $100-250 price range. There seem to be a few options but I am not sure which one would be best to go with, that has a great compatibility out of box with cloud hosted voip phone service.

My options from what I've researched:

* Cisco RCO42G
* Netgear FVS336G
* TPLINK TL-ER5120
* Cisco RV180

Does anyone have experience with any of the above units in such a setup as we have? The highest priorities for us are LAN-WAN throughput and VOIP quality/bandwidth/compatibility. Dual WAN is not a necessity, but nice to have. Prefer that all ports on the box are full gigabit if possible, but WAN has to be.

Any and all recommendations are welcome!

What services do you need? ssl vpn? ipsec vpn? site to site vpn, or just routing? content filtering/blocking AV?
the Cisco RV180 would be fine if it is just routing/firewall.

If you want a content filtering and any vpn or vpn 2+ users no filter your budget is to small.
You would need a sonicwall 2400 at the min.

If Mikrotik provides good support for customers if they need to call in with questions, I'm all for it. But they seem a bit small scale, home-brew for my tastes. This customer runs a large daily operation that needs to be able to call in for support if I am not available.

I've got pretty good experience with Netgear's small biz router line, Cisco's small biz routers, and Zyxel's USG line so not sure how I wouldn't be able to tackle a Mikrotik box. I may not work with enterprise level gear on a daily basis but I know my way around a network, thank you.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The only requirements we have are that SIP based cloud VOIP is well supported with no issues, and that a small biz class firewall can be employed.

No need for VPN, SSL, content filtering, etc. Just a solid box that can handle massive LAN-WAN throughput at over 100Mbps and that doesn't freeze up or slow down during heavy traffic periods.

The only requirements we have are that SIP based cloud VOIP is well supported with no issues, and that a small biz class firewall can be employed.

No need for VPN, SSL, content filtering, etc. Just a solid box that can handle massive LAN-WAN throughput at over 100Mbps and that doesn't freeze up or slow down during heavy traffic periods.
Cisco RV180 should be fine it is ~2x faster than the Cisco RCO42G.
The TPLINK TL-ER5120 is someplace close to the Cisco RCO42G, finding a good review is hard for it.
The Netgear FVS336G is even slower and I would not chance it.

Had a Cisco RV180....wanted to kill that POS with fire. I ended up replacing it with a Zyxel USG 100.

Have you looked at the Cisco ISA550 or ISA570? They also have versions with a W suffix that includes wireless.

They have a decent amount of CPU for the price and can push 200Mbps in both directions.

Just don't use the UTM features and you're set. (using all the UTM features drops the throughput to 45Mbps)

Lastly if you buy it with the cisco support contract you can maintain the cisco support contract for the unit for $69 for an additional 3 years.

Back