Best Geforce 6800 GT?

|MaguS|

[H]ard|Gawd
Im looking into getting one and was wondering which one out currently is the best of the lot? Mainly in OCing. I have read some posts that the PNY GT had the highest OC but don't know how stable it is. Please help an poor ATI owner pick a card. :)

they're all manufactured at the same facilities right now. the brands are just slapping heatsinks on and branding them. it's all luck of the draw.

Man im really torn... Is the GT a really good buy? I don't really care for AA and AF rather then being able to play my games at 1600x1200. So should I just get the GT today (Compusa by me has plenty instock) or should I just wait till the x800 XT PE's are available?

I hate such tough decisions...

I would go with BFG- they're already OC'd, great warranty and great customer service. It seems they have a ton of headroom in OCing.

|MaguS| said:
Im looking into getting one and was wondering which one out currently is the best of the lot? Mainly in OCing. I have read some posts that the PNY GT had the highest OC but don't know how stable it is. Please help an poor ATI owner pick a card. :)

I went with the BFG GT, comes 20 MHz overclocked on the core, and everybody has been hitting beyond ultra speeds with it.

Stock on the BFG is 370 core, 1000 memory, mine right now is 420 core, 1140 memory.

|MaguS| said:
Man im really torn... Is the GT a really good buy? I don't really care for AA and AF rather then being able to play my games at 1600x1200. So should I just get the GT today (Compusa by me has plenty instock) or should I just wait till the x800 XT PE's are available?

I hate such tough decisions...

Just get the 6800GT now and quit waiting. You may be in line for a while to get a PE. People probably wont start getting many till August. Maybe later. Who knows.

The GT will run Ultra speeds and thats more then fast enough for todays processors. You'll have no problem ripping through your games at 1600x1200. Thats the only resolution i play at usually. I run 4xAA + 8xAF or 16xAF in most of my games as well.

I just got home from CompUSA with a PNY Geforce 6800GT :D

Time to remove this Radeon 9800pro and see how this shit works! Farewell ATI, You have been really well too me, haven't used a Nvidia product since my Geforce 3 Ti-500.

tranCendenZ said:
dont forget driver cleaner :)

Yea, make sure you boot into Safe Mode and run Driver Cleaner AND Cab Cleaner on Drivers.CAB and SP1.CAB before installing the nVidia drivers. I do this even when switching between nVidia driver versions.

|MaguS| said:
I just got home from CompUSA with a PNY Geforce 6800GT :D

Time to remove this Radeon 9800pro and see how this shit works! Farewell ATI, You have been really well too me, haven't used a Nvidia product since my Geforce 3 Ti-500.

Post your thoughts here when you've done the upgrade. I have a 9800 Pro myself and I'm tempted to get one of these for myself... ;)

wtburnette said:
Post your thoughts here when you've done the upgrade. I have a 9800 Pro myself and I'm tempted to get one of these for myself... ;)

doing the same thing myself tonight

i just got a BFG 6800 GT to replace my 9800 pro

BIG Difference! Um a game Im not allowed to speak about due to NDA runs AMAZING on it...

I am currently running it oc'd at 420core 1.12ram. Im happy with it, great buy for $399.

System Specs:
AMD64 3200
1GB DDR400
GeForce 6800GT @ Ultra Speeds

Temps: 61C Idle

Leadtek 6800 GT. Leadtek is known for it´s quality and the cooler looks best for the GT so far. It´s the same as for the ULTRA ;)

Only thing I can notice thats not as good as my old Radeon 9800pro is the color of my desktop, while its more sharp the color itself isn't as vibrant as it use to be... or maybe its just me...

|MaguS| said:
Only thing I can notice thats not as good as my old Radeon 9800pro is the color of my desktop, while its more sharp the color itself isn't as vibrant as it use to be... or maybe its just me...

No it's not you, you're probably right. When I switch between ATI and Nvidia cards, ATI's desktop always looks a bit crisper (better text and sharper colors). They've always been a tad better in 2D, but either way it's not a big difference.

That´s odd since many nVidia users complains about the lack of digital vibrance on ATI cards ;)

12150 on 3DMark03! Very Happy!

Is there an artifact or stablebility tester for Nvidia cards? The rthdribl is great for temps but not for artifacts or stablebility, I had my card at 425/1.12 and it ran fine but as soon as I ran 3DMark I locked up on the Troll Lair test.

Oh well.. Ultra Speeds make me happy! :D

I originally had my heart set on getting the BFG model just because of all the hype and hoopla that quite often comes along from BFG owners.

but I must say that my PNY model is damn sure impressing the heck out of me with its 420/1100 speeds. how much better could the BFG get other than the lifetime warranty thing which we all know we dont need cuz I doubt most of us will even have these cards a year from now. I know I probably wont...

One word. Leadtek look at xbitlabs review of the Leadtek 6800 GT. Leadteks track record far exceeds BFG and PNY:s too.

|MaguS| said:
Already hate nvidia's driver support... I miss my Cat series :(

Really? I hate the cats. ForceWare just seems more professional and stable. The built-in overclocking and game profiles can't hurt, either.

Most all of the cards are reference models, so they are basically the same. BFG does swap out the default gunk with AS5, but other than that, PNY, eVGA, BFG, etc are all the same besides the warranty.

Scott

Back