• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Gaming Speakers

Bop

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
3,426
I think my Klipsch 5.1 Ultras are starting to bite the dust, they've had problems with loud buzzing in certain channels since I first got them but after RMA'ing them and getting the same exact problem I decided to stick with it. Now I think its time to just get some new speakers.

At first I thought it would be an easy choice and I would just grab the Creative S750s and be on with it BUT there is a problem where some channels start to sound fuzzy like a blown speaker and then just die out. I had that SAME problem with THREE sets of Megaworks 510D(sent them back TWICE) so it looks like creative isn't doing sh*t to fix that.

Now what seems to be the next best pick is the Logitech Z550 Digital, but I hear the sub on that is too boomy and in games like Battlefield 2 where my Klipsch sub is already way too loud(when driving something like a tank) I sure wouldn't want it to be boom-ier.

Are there any other good *multimedia* speakers out there?
 
klipsch are the best choice but imo a decent home theatre setup owns. depending on your budget of course as long as you have an optical out on your soundcard you should be able to hook up a decent hometheatre sys.
 
I'm definitely not getting home theater speakers, optical out only supports 2 channels. These speakers are for 99% gaming, so I'd need speakers with the 3 3.5mm jacks.
 
Most HT receivers have analog surround as well as digital inputs.
 
So I'd be able to get 5.1 surround through the 3 analog jacks from my sound card in games w/o dolby digital/dts?

Any good sets for a budget around $400?
 
Bop said:
So I'd be able to get 5.1 surround through the 3 analog jacks from my sound card in games w/o dolby digital/dts?

Any good sets for a budget around $400?

Yes. As long as you use the analog jacks. If you use anything other than that, like optical, you'll only get 2 channel stereo, unless you are using something like the Mystique sound card that has Dolby Digital encoding on-board.

Get a good Onkyo receiver, like the TX-SR500 series. You may be able to find one used for about $199 or lower. Then do what I did and get some speakers like the Athena AS-B1 speakers for about $99 a pair, for all your surrounds, and a center speaker. Should set you no more than about $500.00.
 
Bop said:
I'm definitely not getting home theater speakers, optical out only supports 2 channels. These speakers are for 99% gaming, so I'd need speakers with the 3 3.5mm jacks.
That's pretty funny, considering my DVD player is hooked up to my receiver using only a standard optical output, yet I get Dolby Digital out of my speakers.
 
kumquat said:
That's pretty funny, considering my DVD player is hooked up to my receiver using only a standard optical output, yet I get Dolby Digital out of my speakers.

Of course you'll get Dolby Digial output. The tracks on the DVDs that you are watching have already been encoded to 5.1 + channel support.

Guarantee if you hook up a computer using an optical output and try to get 5.1 in games you'll only get 2 channel sound.
 
ajm786 said:
Of course you'll get Dolby Digial output. The tracks on the DVDs that you are watching have already been encoded to 5.1 + channel support.

Guarantee if you hook up a computer using an optical output and try to get 5.1 in games you'll only get 2 channel sound.
Oh, I know, I'm not arguing with that.. just clearing up that "optical out only supports 2 channels" isn't accurate.
 
Best Gaming Speakers...are headphones. Sadly, I found out about this when my speakers were already on their way. :(
 
1c3d0g said:
Best Gaming Speakers...are headphones. Sadly, I found out about this when my speakers were already on their way. :(
Hell no!! Real speakers are infinitely better.

No headphones are going to rumble your butt or make you dodge bullets :p
 
I don't like headphones for gaming, so those are out of the question.

I'm thinking about giving the S750s a chance, but if I hear the slightest distortion they are going back.
 
z-5500's FTW.... these are VERY good gaming speakers.... and are known for non-distorting sound at very high volumes.....

AND for the headphones VS speakers for gaming...

Speakers if you wanna "feel" or want to be more immerse in the action.... the sub plays a big part :D and headphones are better for a more competitive playing... (better positioning) IMO

O yah and BTW, I tried out Dystopia, the HL2 mod... yesterday on my speakers instead of my headphones for once... in 5.1 surround and I bumped up DYS_V..... something... and my jaws jsut dropped... it was THAT good.
 
Hmm, very tought decision! S750 vs z5500.

The nice high volume quality is a big plus, my Klipsch's seem to crackle and pop at what I consider a nice volume. That may be my X-Fi though, they are known for that.

The S750 seems to have more accurate sound, a larger range and two extra speakers though. I can get it for $350 but I'd need to buy 4 speaker stands and the creative ones are 60 for a pair... thats an extra 120 bucks. I'm sure I can find compatable speaker stands for cheaper but I don't know the type of mount :(
 
to whoever said the z-5500's bass was boomy, that's really relative, depending on what you call "boomy". a lot of people throw that word around and don't explain what they think it means.

it could mean that the bass is distorted so much, that it's not accurate, and thus everything just sounds "boomy".

or perhaps people could throw that word around meaning that the bass is too powerful, not that it's distorted.

as far as my z-5500's go, I wouldn't call them boomy in the sense that boominess is distortion, but I would say that they're boomy in that the subwoofer is too powerful. but, this is fixed as the control center allows you to adjust the subwoofer level.

and also, as far as speakers for gaming, versus an HT setup, I like the 5500's due to the fact that it's all in one setup and i don't have to go around buying various parts. also, the new revision of the speakers uses regular everyday speaker wire with the satellites, so if you wanted to, you could use different speakers as satellites.
 
But the creatives would sound better for music though.... seperate tweeters/midrange..

But I did replace my fronts of my z-5500's with full sized bookshelfs today.... sounds much much better.. for music... gaming .. not so much..
 
kumquat said:
Hell no!! Real speakers are infinitely better.

No headphones are going to rumble your butt or make you dodge bullets :p

Let's just leave it at: headphones and speakers are a diffrent concept. ea? Then everyone is happy.
(Personally I love using good headphones for computer games. The 360º "field of view" is so helpful to me.)

Anyways, I would avoid going with a hi-fi setup (receiver and speakers), simply because it will cost you more then it sounds like your willing to spend, and are not designed for near field listeing (in general). Stick with the computer speakers is my recommendation for saving money.
 
I agree with IJeff, it isn't boomy at all... jsut when you first hook it up.. and the bass meter is at half way up.. that thing will knock your walls off :eek: lowering the bass to 2-3 bars sounds really good. And the bass does anything but distort!!
 
Also, subwoofer placement is extremely important. If i place my z5500 sub in the corner, it is definately wayyy too boomy. Try different placements in the room, and you will find a very good sweetspot.
 
I'm about to pull the trigger on the S750s. I'm worried about the reliability though, 3 or 4 people on the creative boards got about 2-3 sets in a row with the same problem(rear left speaker dying). The mod on the forums had his pair for about a year without issues though, as do another few other people...
 
The point being is that if you go HT, your sound system will be better than the best multimedia rig made, so you won't be buying a new one in a year. Also, nearfield listening isn't a problem since there are microsats and monitors that are designed for this.

A good start would be a set of Klipsch Quintet II or III's, a Dayton 10", and a receiver with 5.1 discrete inputs. Someone on another thread mentioned an Onkyo unit for about $120. $300 for the Klipsch sats, and $110 for the Dayton sub.

The Quintets are as big as your Ultra sats, but are much higher quality, and can go louder / handle more power without distorting. They also are easily placable, and the stands can be inverted to be wall mounts. I cannot stress enough how much better they are than the ProMedia sats, despite the fact they look similar. Also, the center has dual 3" drivers + 3/4" tweeter, instead of one driver. The casing is mineral vs plastic, and is also rear ported behind the tweeter.

Here are (top to bottom) MC50 (MegaWorks 510D), Klipsch Ultra 5.1, Quintet II

centers.jpg



Here is another pic, with the Infinity Primus C25

centers_s.jpg
 
lets just say the logitech sub is designed for car audio buffs. you know, the guys that are concerned with just db and spl and not true bass quality. i'm not saying their subs can't do decent bass. its just that if u want real bass, you DON'T do Logi.
 
Hmm those Quintet IIs look really nice. So 300 bucks for 5 of them plus a receiver and sub. Quality wise it seems better but its over my budget though, don't know if I can afford it. The S750s are only 350 for the whole thing. Plus I'd lose 2 speakers, which would be helpful for positional effect in games which these speakers are 99% for. I could get a 7.1 receiver and add the 2 speakers when I can afford them though.

How would that Dayton compare to my Klipsch Ultra sub?

EDIT: The Dayton 10" has been discontinued but there is a 12" 150w for ~$150. How would that compare to my old Klipsch sub?(If I could afford it I would get one of those Klipsch Sub-12s :( )

I think I should mention that my sub is basically 1.5ft away from my feet under my desk.

7.1 receivers are around 270 bucks it seems... I really hope a HT setup would really kill a multimedia system though I'm not sure how to hook up 7 channels to my 3 analog outs on my sound card compared to 5 channels.

EDIT: OK, I have a Sony STR-DE595 for my current home theater but I'd be willing to use my crappy old creative cheapo DTT3500 for that. I use my PC way more :) Is the Onkyo better? I was thinking about just shelling out 600 for the Quintets and the KSW-10 sub.(the total cost of the S750s are actually more around 470, found out the stands cost 120 for 2 pairs)
 
use the sony. as for hooking up the sound card there has to be an adapter made somewhere? this is a good question we need to figure out b/c multimedia speakers suck.

btw I use AKG K1000 Headspeakers w/ a custom PPA amp for gaming/music mostly b/c I have a wife who sits above me and frowns upon artillery fire shaking the house dammit!
 
Please correct me if I am wrong, but most PC games use EAX for surround sound. If you hook your sound card to a receiver, you will lose that wont you?

Also, the best connection method would be optical. If the card processes EAX and then sent a digital signal via optical to the receiver, then I may jump on this bandwagon too heh. Can someone sort this mess out with some sort of proof?
 
mike_j_johnson said:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but most PC games use EAX for surround sound. If you hook your sound card to a receiver, you will lose that wont you?

Also, the best connection method would be optical. If the card processes EAX and then sent a digital signal via optical to the receiver, then I may jump on this bandwagon too heh. Can someone sort this mess out with some sort of proof?
In general, you would have to connect three analog cables to the receivers "extension input" (ext in) to maintain the True surround sound. Optical from most sound cards just output as PCM stereo if I remember correctly.

~Hope this helps
 
For the guy thats recomending the $500 HT budget....you have an amp ($200) and two pairs of speakers ( $200 ) and a center ( $90 ).....but what about a subwoofer? Makes a big difference, and a decent one will run you around $200.

I say go for the Klipsch ProMedia Ultras....they sound AMAZING. Especially hooked up to my X-Fi Fatal1ty :D Everyone that watches a movie in my room is just wow'd by the sound of these speakers!
 
I have the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras. I don't like the amp as it buzzes and it seems to get too hot after awhile and the sound will pop.(happened with 2 sets)

I've made my choice.

I'm buying the Quintet IIs and a KSW-10 subwoofer and it'll cost me 600 big ones. I'm going to use this stuff with my Sony STR-DE595. I'll eventually buy a nice receiver when I get some more money.

The Quintets have the same exact stand mounts as the PM satellites right?

Also I'm assuming for the analog inputs on the receiver I have to get a miniplug to RCA splitter? How would I know which RCA plug would be the sub and the other the center speaker?
 
Bop said:
I have the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras. I don't like the amp as it buzzes and it seems to get too hot after awhile and the sound will pop.(happened with 2 sets)

I've made my choice.

I'm buying the Quintet IIs and a KSW-10 subwoofer and it'll cost me 600 big ones. I'm going to use this stuff with my Sony STR-DE595. I'll eventually buy a nice receiver when I get some more money.

The Quintets have the same exact stand mounts as the PM satellites right?

Also I'm assuming for the analog inputs on the receiver I have to get a miniplug to RCA splitter? How would I know which RCA plug would be the sub and the other the center speaker?

Yeah, I guess there are a lot of people that have that problem. Mine is at 45 w/ no music playing and its dead silent *knock on wood*
 
oh the miniplugs are labelled if you have your owners manual or look it up on the website. I know Radio snack has those BUT look at this too.

http://www.zucable.com/pivot/

I have one I got on ebay for 60 bucks going out of my laptop into my headphone amp and it's NICE. Interconnects are VERY important. Just another upgrade when you have more $$$. for now radiosnack it.
 
I almost forgot about this, but will the Synergy Sub-10 cause damage to my monitor?

I have to place the sub right under the desk(It can go pretty far back, plenty of legroom) but the top of the sub is 11" from the top of my desk. I have a CRT monitor and I'm worried that it might get damaged seeing as subwoofers are never magnetically shielded. My current sub is 15.5" away from the top of my desk.

Is it far away enough to prevent damage to the monitor?

EDIT: I hooked up my sony receiver to my PC with my current klipsch speakers... MUCH better, even without any bass :) Battlefield 2 still crackles like hell though.
 
I have to say the Klipsch GMX 5.1, the funky looking space age ones. They sound great and peform better than my 2.1 Promedia Klipsch.
 
benamaster said:
I have to say the Klipsch GMX 5.1, the funky looking space age ones. They sound great and peform better than my 2.1 Promedia Klipsch.

Lol, those speakers are pure ****, dont listen to this guy.
 
Circuitbreaker8 said:
Lol, those speakers are pure ****, dont listen to this guy.

Heh, no wai those speakers are awesome! I'm definitely buying those :D

I asked about the sub interfering with my monitor on avsforum, the sub-10 is downfiring so the magnet is either farther away or about the same distance as the Klipsch Ultras so I hope it'll be ok. I just have to hope its not a super magnet :-P
 
I am serious, I've heard alot of bad things about them, I guess I got the good ones! I have alot of high end speakers from MartinLogan in our home theater to JL Audio ZR Components in my vehicle. I do run the Klipsch as 2.1 though.
 
I have the X-Fi Xtreme Music with the Logitech Z-5300e's, and would recommend this to anyone who wants a good gaming/movie surround sound setup for their pc for less than $250. Since you already have the sound card, you could get the 5300's, and a nice set of headphones for intensive listening.

Listening to audiophiles' recommendations will drive your wallet into the ground for a marginal at best gain to your (thankfully) untrained ear.

PS: Your x-fi fatality has better DACs than the 5500's. In this case, you'd want to use analog out to analog in... defeating the whole purpose of the 5500's, IMHO.
 
When you are using analog in, some recievers won't apply Bass Management which is basically setting crossover points for your speakers with your subwoofer. You might have to use something like the Outlaw Audio ICBM.
 
mdameron said:
Listening to audiophiles' recommendations will drive your wallet into the ground for a marginal at best gain to your (thankfully) untrained ear.

Most people have no problems telling good speaker sets from bad ones. My dad listened in on some Z5500's and the first thing he said was, "Is the treble turned down?". There is a difference between consumer grade and entry audiophile grade and I would venture to say it is apparent to everyone.

What non audiophiles don't know is how to describe what they are hearing. Bass and treble get thrown around a lot so most people only know that a good speaker set has "good" bass and treble. Distortion is a more vague term to most people. Personally, I think the bass on the Z5500 is boomy, meaning that the bass has a tendency to hold onto the beat a little too long. If someone where to hear a bass drum being pounded very fast, what you would hear would be a rumble, rather than hearing each individual mallet strike the drum. Physics dictates what a sub can do best at. In general, from cheaper subs, punchy bass from an explosion, means you are giving up responsiveness. The better subs try and maximize both parameters by using stronger voice coils, lighter cones, stiffer cones, and research.
 
People can tell differences between Tube and Solid State Amplifiers too and say the Tubes sound smoother. Just like tweeters, some people like soft dome, others metal tweeters and some like Horns like on the Klipsch. Its best to buy from a place with a good return policy and demo them for your self.
 
Back
Top