• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best gaming sound solution -200

mlapgw

Gawd
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
552
I need a new pair of headphones. I listen to some music but these are primarily for gaming. I play everything. It will be used with the computer in my sig. I have an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card.

I am coming from Audio-technica ATH A-500 -my son broke them for me this morning. To me they sounded great, my ear is not that sophisticated I suppose.
I think I want to stay with the closed back type, I don't want to share the sound with others in the room.

What is going to be the best sound solution for under $200.00? I'd like to stay below this not stretch above it a little.

I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATHM50S - $159.00

or

would a combo like this (or some other similarly priced headphones) produce better sound?

Shure SRH440 - $69.00
and
FiiO E10 - $80.99
 
Last edited:
The brainwavz-hm5 and the Audio-Technica-ATH-A700 are the same price right now.

For gaming which would you spend your money on?

That leaves me enough for a Fiio E10 or E11. I have a soundcard. Do I need the amp to increase the quality for gaming?
 
The Brainwavz I have no personal experience with , are somewhat new so those could be a gamble ..however people seem to really like them. The A700's are decent , not really my first choice but you have a budget to consider that's kinda small.

The Fiio E10 is a home DAC/AMP (not really a great amp but plenty to drive either of those cans , however if you ever upgrade to a real set of headphones you'll need something better) not a portable DAC/AMP like the E11 or E7. Unless you have a need for it to be portable go with the Fiio E10 without question , it can do 96/24 through USB 2.0 which the E11 can not. The best portable Fiio AMP that also has the best DAC is the E17 but right now its pretty hard to find and out of your range in terms of cost (not by much though.

Keep in mind the A700's would be driven just fine by an ASUS Xonar DX which is a better DAC than the Fiio E10 and probably about the same quality in terms of an amp. The Xonar DX is able to provide better output options but requires a PCI slot so if this audio setup will only be used on the PC , buy the Xonar DX with the A700's. If you are going to be using other sources of audio (CD player , SACD player , video game console , Blu Ray) then go with the Fiio E10.
 
Beyerdynamic DT770. A cheapie Xonar DG would be a decent enough sound card for it.
 
If you are gaming, I'd get a sound card that supports Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D for virtual surround. It is much better for gaming. The Fiio E10 won't support that, so I'd do what Godmachine recommended and get a Xonar DX (or even the Xonar DG if you are budget limited). Couple that with the A700s and you'll be doing pretty good.
 
So I should throw out my old x-fi x-treme gamer in favor of the Asus Xonar DX?

I see those run roughly $90? I am willing to spend about $50 more above that on a sound card if there is a better choice.
 
So I should throw out my old x-fi x-treme gamer in favor of the Asus Xonar DX?

I see those run roughly $90? I am willing to spend about $50 more above that on a sound card if there is a better choice.

The next step up from the DX for gaming is the Creative Titanium HD or the Asus Essence ST/STX - both $150+. I guess you could try the Recon3D, but the word on that card is mixed at best.

The A700s are easy to drive, so you could always pick those up first and try them with the current sound card. Not sure if it supports CMSS-3D or not, but you can always try it and then get a different card later.
 
The next step up from the DX for gaming is the Creative Titanium HD or the Asus Essence ST/STX - both $150+. I guess you could try the Recon3D, but the word on that card is mixed at best.

The A700s are easy to drive, so you could always pick those up first and try them with the current sound card. Not sure if it supports CMSS-3D or not, but you can always try it and then get a different card later.

Yea the STX would be wasted on the A700's , I mean its a superior DAC no question but the A700's are so easy to power that spending more in your case unless you are a secret audiophile would just be a waste of money. If however you are willing to step up your budget for headphones .. that's a different story.

I vote Xonar DX + Audio-Technica ATHM-50 , that will be an excellent combo.
 
Just focus on getting the new headphones for now. I believe that your current soundcard can still drive your new headphones. I would suggest you trying out an open backed headphones. I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.
 
Just focus on getting the new headphones for now. I believe that your current soundcard can still drive your new headphones. I would suggest you trying out an open backed headphones. I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

DT990 pro's 32ohm version is at least $300+ .. his budget is -200. :confused:
 
Well according to Head-fi there difference between the Pro and Prem version is minor so that's a nice find. But there is a large sonic difference between the 32ohm and 600ohm versions.

Thanks for pointing that out.

One notable difference between the pro and premium is comfortability. The pro version is for studio use so it has a tighter fit than the premium.

Higher impedance headphones will really need an amp to make use of its potential. I got the 250 ohm version of the 990 pro and my pc soundcard or ipod can just marginally push it. Anything higher than 250 ohms MUST need an amp.
 
If you are gaming, I'd get a sound card that supports Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D for virtual surround. It is much better for gaming. The Fiio E10 won't support that, so I'd do what Godmachine recommended and get a Xonar DX (or even the Xonar DG if you are budget limited). Couple that with the A700s and you'll be doing pretty good.

in my opinion CMSS-3D sounds like garbage on every closed-back headphone i've tried it with. i believe the shape of your ear canals can affect how well it works, for me it makes the game sound like i'm playing inside of an aluminum box.

Just focus on getting the new headphones for now. I believe that your current soundcard can still drive your new headphones.

i agree i'd just focus on the headphones. the xtreme gamer is still a fantastic sound card and i think you'd be hard pressed to find headphones within your budget that can't be driven properly by it. i haven't sampled a ton of headphones but i can tell you that i love my DT770 80ohm headphones for gaming. they are bass-heavy but that's alright by me when it comes to gaming. gaming should be fun. the soundstage is very wide for a closed headphone too. warning: if you have a large noggin they might be uncomfortable. they clamp tightly which i personally like (i don't have a huge melon).
 
Thank you for all the feedback.
I was mistaken about my sound card. When I opened my computer I realized I have an X-Fi Titianium. I don't know if that makes much of a difference in my situation other than, down the road is this in item I should replace to achieve the best sound from my headphones?

I took a look at those
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
They look nice and 199.00 is the top of my range. My concern was about the "open air" feature. I do not want my wife to walk by my office and hear me listening to porn. :D

I think I'll do some research on Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50, which seem to get a lot of mention here.
 
Thank you for all the feedback.
I was mistaken about my sound card. When I opened my computer I realized I have an X-Fi Titianium. I don't know if that makes much of a difference in my situation other than, down the road is this in item I should replace to achieve the best sound from my headphones?

I took a look at those
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
They look nice and 199.00 is the top of my range. My concern was about the "open air" feature. I do not want my wife to walk by my office and hear me listening to porn. :D

I think I'll do some research on Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50, which seem to get a lot of mention here.

I don't know about the 770s, but I have the 880s and they don't leak all that much sound. The AD700s, for instance, were much more open.
 
The DT 990 Pro does not leak sound that much.

It leaks less than the DT 880 and supposedly with the right kind of DAC it can hold its own quite well.

The only choice from there is the HD650's in my opinion. Best all around headphones I've ever owned , never let me down on anything. If there is an issue with the sound I blame my DAC/AMP first or my the content I'm listening to before I start considering the HD650 having a weak point.

Sadly the only true upgrade from an HD650 costs almost triple what it does.
 
Back
Top