Best Gaming Monitor for around $400

jcll2002

2[H]4U
Im in the market for a lcd monitor for my new rig. It has the x1900xt and I am planning to play games maxed so i dont want ghosting. Also, no light leakage is key.

I am looking to spend alittle more than $400. If you could recommend any, that would be great.

Thanks,
jcll2002

BTW, Im looking at the 2005fpw but the reviews on the backlight issues are scaring me

You can continually RMA the 2005FPW until you get a perfect one. No cost to you(except time).

yeah tell me that isnt a giant pain in the ass.

Im currently replacing my inpiron 9300s screen (3 times) to get the screen door effect off. I dont want to have to go though it again with the 2005fpw.

Are the problems solved in the current batch or should i avoid it?

I'm also debating with the 2005fpw and 2405fpw now..Same as you, it's the back light leaking that make me worry..Anyway, if you're a hardcore gamer, maybe you could think over a CRT? Since they're in good color and response time in lower price comparison to LCD ones... :confused:

i have the hyundai L90D+ lcd it has 8ms response time, very good iq. 17 or 19 inch have the same native resolution, they both look good imo. if i was buying a new one now i would get a widescreen 1680x1050 20" or something bigger.

Im not that hardcore, I just want something that i can game on without bleeding, with true blacks, without the screen door effect, and is around $400.

Basically, just a solid all around monitor

samsung has a new $500.00 19 inch 1280x1024 native resolution monitor, i wonder if iq is good?! maybe less cost models are also good...

The best, imo, is the Sony/HP FW900 Trinitron 24" widescreen CRT monitor.

You can usually find them used for $400, or under. The only problem is the chance of getting a bad one. I just purchased one and it is amazing.

I've seen some reviews about FW900...but the only problem is this model isn't released in my place.....even if it is released here I don't think it will be under 400$.... :(

i don't know how much of a "gaming" monitor this is,
but i have a ViewSonic VX924 and it's amazing...

If you look around on the internet you'll be able to find the FW900. I've had mine for just under two years. It's incredible. Very crisp picture and outrageous resolutions.

I kind of want to stay lcd, and its not that im a really hardcore gamer, its just that I want to be able to play games without noticing the backlight leakage in fear, ghosting or anything like that.

Got dell 2005fpw for 399 shipped right after christmas, no dead pixels or blacklight issues. Couldnt be more happy except for another perhaps. :D

Best Gaming Monitor is the BenQ FP93GX 2ms 19"

Its now available at MWave for $384 and ships for a total of $399. I'm thinking about picking up one.

Ive been looking into the Acer AL2032WA Its the samething as the Acer Ferrari F-20 just no color read the reviews of the Ferrari havent seen any real downside to it.

Saabjock said:
If you look around on the internet you'll be able to find the FW900. I've had mine for just under two years. It's incredible. Very crisp picture and outrageous resolutions.

out of price range

try Samsung 1100 CRT, LCDs ARE inferior, try to minimize the effects as much as you want, but they're there - if space and weight isn't an issue, and if mobility isn't absolute key, than CRT for you - save money, get higher res', no native res', no ghosting/streaking/dead pixels, last longer, as long as you go quality with a very flat screen/tube and get one with good lighting and brightness that will last

Thanatos. said:
Ive been looking into the Acer AL2032WA Its the samething as the Acer Ferrari F-20 just no color read the reviews of the Ferrari havent seen any real downside to it.

Likewise, I'm also looking into that LCD. If it's anything like the panel in my Acer laptop it should be quite nice. A little over $400 ($530) but if you're already spending this much, might as well spend a little more and get an incredible display that'll make all your friends jealous :p

Yeah the 2005FPW is hit and miss, I have 2 good ones, but my buddy went through 3 to get 1 good one. You may want to wait for the 2007FPW, in a week or so, so you will have an HDCP compliant monitor to future proof you a bit.

For a 19, the VX924 is very good. Similar bezzle as the new Dells, and it has very good color response.

The BenQ FP93GX is also very nice, but it didn't have the color pop of the viewsonic IMO.

HopePoisoned said:
out of price range

try Samsung 1100 CRT, LCDs ARE inferior, try to minimize the effects as much as you want, but they're there - if space and weight isn't an issue, and if mobility isn't absolute key, than CRT for you - save money, get higher res', no native res', no ghosting/streaking/dead pixels, last longer, as long as you go quality with a very flat screen/tube and get one with good lighting and brightness that will last
There are 2 or 3 ebay merchants selling the FW900 for $400 shipped atm. One of them even has a two year warranty.

There are also new/oem 21" Dell P1130 & 22" Dell P1230's selling for $250ish on ebay. Now those are tempting imho, especially the P1230 which have a diamondtron tube (though some merchants mistaken it for a trinitron).

Well most of this is a moot point since OP seems bent on getting an LCD :p

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
FW900. Big screen and affordable. I have a x1900xt as well. WIth this you will be able to do 1920*1200 in a lot of the games right now and then go down to 1680*1050 nicely and so on. With the gaming benefits you will get, you will also get a much bigger screen than can be found in a similar price range. Flexibility of resolutions means you can say bye to small screens in an all around, kind of affordable :D, way.

edit: Sorry, I didn't read everything originally. Don't want a CRT don't get one then. :)

I think Im going to want (just decided lol) a higher res than sxga to take advantage of my x1900xt

What I meant by pop was saturation. The Viewsonic seems to have a high perceivable contrast ratio.

Oh, and the speculators have the new Dell 2007FPW slated for 2/24/2006

I am going to wait for the 2007 series models from Dell. I need a TV/monitor/display for my Zen/DVD/laptop display.

Back