Best gaming LCD with LED backlight?

yrp

n00b
Yes, I know there's already a thread for best gaming LCD floating around. But I couldn't find a thread for one with LED backlighting. I've read numerous claims about regular LCDs and LCDs with LED backlighting having the little to no difference. I'm still dubious about this claim, how could CCFL compared to LED have no difference in picture?

I'm looking for a monitor $300 or less
Good for gaming and watching movies
LED backlighting
24-28"
1900x1080 or 1900x1200

I'd personally prefer if you guys recommended me one that you've owned or tried before.
If you guys insist that CCFL and LED backlighting are the same, then I would probably go for ASUS VW266H, is that okay?

Well,

Dell's G2410 is a winner for what you're looking for, at around $250, even if it is a little plain looking and sparse on extra ports. It's a power bill saver, too, even at 24".

I haven't used it, but did consider it recently.

Cnet likes it. See below. Maybe Dell even makes one like it, but bigger, and still in you price range.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone
---------------------------------
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-g2410/4505-3174_7-33581193.html

Performance

"...We tested the Dell G2410 with its DVI connection. The display posted a composite score of 97 on CNET Labs' DisplayMate-based performance tests, which is the highest we've yet seen. We compared it with the 24-inch Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP, which scored a 90, and to the Dell S2409W's 87. The G2410's accurate reproduction of color and its screen uniformity impressed us the most. In the Dark Screen test, the display yielded the least backlight bleed-through we've seen in a monitor, suggesting that movie watching on the G2410 will not be plagued by backlight glare during dark scenes as some monitors are. The G2410 easily passed all of our color tests getting perfect scores in all six tests..."

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, no HDMI is really bad for me. I planned to use my monitor for my PS3 as well. And isn't 5ms response time a bit slow for gaming?

I'm still dubious about this claim, how could CCFL compared to LED have no difference in picture?

Light is light. There's only one white balance setting we want, and both technologies are capable of emitting it.

Well,

If LED backlit is your main priority, as the title of your thread suggests, you're probably going to have to sacrifice on some point, whether it be price, ports, or 2ms response time.

I mean, if 5ms isn't fast enough for you, I'd first search to try to establish if there is ANY LED display with a 2ms response time in any price range.

If there is, you've probably found your screen.

Please let us all hear how it goes.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

Yeah,

After seeing hale's post, I notice the Cnet review of Samsung's XL2370 is outstanding.

It's LED, HDMI, and 2ms, and in your price range.

Wow, shopping is fun, even when you're no longer in the market for panels.

Peace,
C, Livingstone

PS: Oh, I just noticed the XL2370 is 23", and it my not have HDCP (which would be a deal-breaker for me). I do like my 23" EA231WMi though.

Last edited:
Unless you are worried about energy consumption, LED is essentially worthless.

LED-matrix backlighting is good, aka local dimming which really helps panel uniformity, IMO. Unfortunately... Nothing in the computer-monitor market yet. Regular LED backlighting used in monitors, as several others have said, pretty much amounts to power savings at the end of the day.

Local dimming is not a magic though. You will have to deal with "white bloom" since the screen would be divided up into sector. For example if a white circle on a black background is centered in the middle of 4 grids, all 4 grids will be backlight. You will end up seeing a white circle on top of a very dark grey square background, on top of a black background.

My LG 47HL90 HDTV has local dimming so I know what I'm talking about.

Back