Best Gaming Headset

spike99

Weaksauce
About 3 years ago, I created the below thread looking for a good headset.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1218143

With suggestions, I bought the ATH-A900 and after 3 years I still have them and has served me very well... but the wire that meets the connector is bad and I need to move it a bit to get sound back on. Over time I guess wires inside break.

I have considered in getting wire & connector repaired but maybe its time for a new headset. So I'm back looking for suggestions for replacement.

I suppose the ATH-A700 are the equivalent of my ATH-A900 and would be leaning to get these but wanted to get suggestions. So, I would appreciate if anyone can give me suggestions of good headsets.

Note: I currently use my Logitech webcam for a microphone so I don't need a headset with mic. In addition, I also have a Logitech 2.1 speaker. My Creative sound card has a connector at the back and also a front panel connector. So I connect my speakers to on the back and connect my headset to front panel. I suppose i don't have wire issues with my 2.1 speakers because wires are not bent... but connecting the headset to the front... wire is slightly bent and over time I guess breaks inside loses some contacts.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited:
No suggestions from anyone ? :)

I've done some research... and I'm now considering ATH-A700 & Beyer Dynamic DT 880 32 OHM. Leaning towards the DT 880 at this time.

ath-ad700 are considered the headphones to get for gaming., since they're open as opposed to closed like the a700. an open set generally causes a better sound stage which the ad700 are known for vs the a700.

some lower cost alternatives are:
jvc rx700/900, maxwell dhp-ii, pioneer m390, superlux hd 681/668b

I recently returned my Corsair HS1 headset. There were some issues that didn't set well with me. That said, a lot of folks here are very pleased with them. So they might work well for you too.

I think I'm going to go the noise cancelling route. It's amazing when things get really quiet how many more details you can discern from your surroundings. I might end up getting some Sennhesier's or other top NC headphones. I just wish retailers would put them on display so folks could take them for a test drive.

ath-ad700 are considered the headphones to get for gaming., since they're open as opposed to closed like the a700. an open set generally causes a better sound stage which the ad700 are known for vs the a700.

some lower cost alternatives are:
jvc rx700/900, maxwell dhp-ii, pioneer m390, superlux hd 681/668b

Yes, AD700 seem to be very popular. I have not had a open set but I do like that with closed set, I don't disturb anyone & I don't hear their noise either...

In general for PC gaming... do people generally prefer open or closed headphones ?

I recently returned my Corsair HS1 headset. There were some issues that didn't set well with me. That said, a lot of folks here are very pleased with them. So they might work well for you too.

I think I'm going to go the noise cancelling route. It's amazing when things get really quiet how many more details you can discern from your surroundings. I might end up getting some Sennhesier's or other top NC headphones. I just wish retailers would put them on display so folks could take them for a test drive.

My understanding is that headsets that use sound card are much better than plugging a USB headset.

I have a closed headset now... and I do like that I only hear the game which to me... feels more immersive in game... but since I have not owned an open headset... not sure if it would be the same feeling..

I don't doubt that open cans like HD555 are good for gaming... but what about compared to closed cans... From those who have both open & closed cans... which is preferred ?

I use a Sennheiser PC135 on ear headset with in-line removable USB sound chip as well as a Logitech G35 closed ear headset.
I have been very impressed with both, Senny's are about 6 years old now and the G35 I bought a few months ago.

besides the better soundstage people get open headsets so they cam hear people talking to them at lan. helps when in cstrike when youre at lan calling/yelling out positions and enemies.

Ever since I bought my Shure SRH750DJ, every other "gaming" headset I've tried has been utter crap compared to them. I use a usb mic that sits on my desk.

besides the better soundstage people get open headsets so they cam hear people talking to them at lan. helps when in cstrike when youre at lan calling/yelling out positions and enemies.

isn't that what a mic on the headset is for, if all talk is off?

Best gaming HEADSET?

Probably Beyerdynamic MMX 300. Built like a tank; supposed to be based on the DT770's, but the driver specs seem to differ slightly (maximum response range)...I don't know if anyone has done a side by side comparison, though, although some reviews mentioned the same "flaws" that the DT770 has, which isn't surprising at all.

But if you want surround sound, probably the corsairs...barring any mic quality issues, that's probably the best all-around solution.

Last edited:
isn't that what a mic on the headset is for, if all talk is off?

At lan tournys most teams dont use the mic, cause its an extra button you have to press then you have to talk for the mic to transmit it as oppose to just yelling it out

Best gaming HEADSET?

Probably Beyerdynamic MMX 300. Built like a tank; supposed to be based on the DT770's, but the driver specs seem to differ slightly (maximum response range)...I don't know if anyone has done a side by side comparison, though, although some reviews mentioned the same "flaws" that the DT770 has, which isn't surprising at all.

But if you want surround sound, probably the corsairs...barring any mic quality issues, that's probably the best all-around solution.

MMX 300 & Corsair are both USB headsets... Again, my understanding is that going via sound card is much better than USB headsets. And Yes, I believe MMX 330 are based on DT770.

if you play next to people at lans or anything, open is the way to go, i had a set of closed ones that were very nice but i couldn't hear the person beside me at all, if they aren't in a chat channel with you in game then they might as well not exist. Just an opinion. i switched from a set of ath-ad300 series to a set of mic modded hd555's and have been very happy with them, my astro mixamp helps but they are the best i've played with to date.

I like my HD555's for gaming very much. The fact that they are open really sits well with me, as i don't get outside sounds in my computer room anyways. Of course these are not a headset, so i don't count :D

that PC360 looks like a 555 with a mic, is it that exactly?

Yes, looks like the PC360 is based on the 555. I'm really undecided between a closed and open cans. I do like closed cans... with them I only hear game and don't disturb anyone... but on the other hand it does get warm over time... My understanding is that open cans don't get as warm as closed cans...

I was really set between DT-770 or ATH-A700... Although PC360 are open it has an integrated mic, versus I use a mic from my USB webcam... the difference is that using mic from a USB webcam, it picks up all the background noises... vs integrated mics covers up most external noise...

ufff... difficult to decide.

Last edited:
Yeah, i currently have the sennheiser HD280 (closed) and a crappy desktop mic that picks up everything. I really don't like the desktop mic, it seems to be bad at picking up my voice, and it picks up way too much sometimes. Maybe i just need a nicer desk mic, but I'd like to get some 555 style headphones too and try them out. I am definitely a fan of closed headphones, not being able to hear anything makes what you do hear sound that much better. But i've never had any open headphones of the same or better quality than my HD280's either so i'm not sure if that's why I think closed ones are better :p

You have a crappy desktop mic :) My USB logitech webcam with integrated mic is great in picking up my voice but it's also great in up picking background noise.

I know how it feels because when I'm on skype and playing games and I hear my friends background noise... It can be distracting and very annoying and sometimes enough for me to close chat. The opposite is also true, sometimes I'm unable to control noise on my side and friends complain about my background noise... It definitely can be frustrating with background noise.

But at the same time it is convenient for me to have a desktop mic. Having closed cans, they get warm and I take them off while I wait for next game.... But I suppose with open cans I won't feel the need to take headphone off since they won't get as warm ?

Actually, I just thought another benefit of having the mic with PC 360. The mic can be easily muted versus if I wanted to mute my conversation with my USB mic, I would need to go to skype and mute my conversation....

If need to have a private conversation... I would be like... wait a min while I mute my conversation.. while with the PC 360, I can easily mute mic. Dunno, Sennheiser PC 360 is starting to grow on me... My only complaint is that not many reviews on PC 360 and not many reviews from current owners...

headphones are very subjective, personal things. i have a pair of Sennheiser HD280's and love them. i'm a fan of closed headphones because they provide excellent immersion which is very important to me. in multiplayer FPS games i'm not one of those people who lowers graphics settings all the way down to achieve 230 fps so i can get more kills. i crank the graphics settings (as much as is reasonable) so that i can become more immersed in the experience. i'll sacrifice a few deaths to enjoy the experience more :D

anyway in my subjective, personal opinion closed headphones are the way to go.

Senn HD650 and a quality sound card is what I went with. Amazing sound but expensive.

Closed or open, there's not a huge world of difference in terms of relative heat built-up. Open/closed refers to the driver back, and not necessary to the chamber that the ear is in. If it's hot enough, opens will bother you nearly as much as closed.

I prefer closed phones for gaming due to the blocking out of extraneous 'real' environmental noise. True, open phones have a more expansive soundstage in general but I find in Stereo audio that rarely means anything in gaming.

My current gaming headset of choice is the Logitech G35. It actually isolates, the 7.1 is a more immersive experience than stereo, and the comfort is not too terrible, although a tad clampy (but then it has to be to provide the isolation).

My regular headset is the Beyer MMX 300. Mic pickup performance is beyond any other gaming headset I've used and do a lot of Skyping with it. My 'luggable' set is the PC 350, although I'm not the worlds greatest fan of it.

Although I have not tried open, I do prefer closed which prevents external noise... hence I'm able to concentrate while gaming and I'm not distracted by external noise.

By the way, for the MMX 300, My understanding is that it's a USB headset.... but does it have the option to connect directly to the sound card ? Also, is there a way to mute the mic on the headset ? I like the way you can mute the mic on the PC360.

Update: Checked Beyer's website... and the MMX 300 has volume control and mic muting on usb converter... but I prefer to have to use sound card. If you have a sound card what's the use of bypassing it...

Although I have not tried open, I do prefer closed which prevents external noise... hence I'm able to concentrate while gaming and I'm not distracted by external noise.

By the way, for the MMX 300, My understanding is that it's a USB headset.... but does it have the option to connect directly to the sound card ? Also, is there a way to mute the mic on the headset ? I like the way you can mute the mic on the PC360.

Update: Checked Beyer's website... and the MMX 300 has volume control and mic muting on usb converter... but I prefer to have to use sound card. If you have a sound card what's the use of bypassing it...

It'a a regular analog headset that happens to ship with a USB converter. Personally I find the converter perfectly acceptable for everyday use. But there's absolutely nothing preventing you from hooking it up to a soundcard. There is no on-headset mic mute: It's on the USB converter.

The choice of the MMX is really about whether you value superior voice pickup (noticeably better than the likes of the PC 350 et al) or not - because it is basically a DT 770 Premium underneath (and you get a $20 bag - big whoop. Which I actually find handier for carting my Tesla T1 around). For me, the convenience is worth the cost. I can understand there are plenty of people where a hundred bucks is a big deal, especially if they aren't doing a whole lot of talking.

Actually, I just thought another benefit of having the mic with PC 360. The mic can be easily muted versus if I wanted to mute my conversation with my USB mic, I would need to go to skype and mute my conversation....

If need to have a private conversation... I would be like... wait a min while I mute my conversation.. while with the PC 360, I can easily mute mic. Dunno, Sennheiser PC 360 is starting to grow on me... My only complaint is that not many reviews on PC 360 and not many reviews from current owners...

My.girlfriend bought me a pair of pc350s for xmas and I love them although you need a.decent and card to get the best out of it. I had the pc150s before that and they can seriously take a beating (drops spills etc)

I've been using my ATH-A700s for about 1.5 years now and I'm extremely happy with them for gaming. I also have a pair of HD555s that I did not like near as much for the same tasks. Once I modded these however, with the soundstage and HD595 mod, I think I actually prefer them over the ATH-A700s. That said, for gaming I would still go with the closed ATH-A700 cans if for no other reason than the much better bass response for explosions.

I've been using my ATH-A700s for about 1.5 years now and I'm extremely happy with them for gaming. I also have a pair of HD555s that I did not like near as much for the same tasks. Once I modded these however, with the soundstage and HD595 mod, I think I actually prefer them over the ATH-A700s. That said, for gaming I would still go with the closed ATH-A700 cans if for no other reason than the much better bass response for explosions.

Thanks for this. I do believe that closed would be better for me... but lately I've been thinking that PC 360 would be better. Being able to easily mute mic and it's ability to cover up external noise is becoming high on my priority...

Thanks for this. I do believe that closed would be better for me... but lately I've been thinking that PC 360 would be better. Being able to easily mute mic and it's ability to cover up external noise is becoming high on my priority...

PC350s are closed

I think he really meant PC 350, but PC 360 has better headphones and the ability to mute mic by moving it upright seems good.

Yeah. It's something I quite appreciate having on the G35.

I bought a Fiio E7 BTW so will be in a position to say how good or bad it is in a week or so, once I've had time to get to grips with it - but there are plenty of reviews floating around of it of course.

Back