best gaming and ocing mem

empower64

Limp Gawd
hey im doing alot of overclocking and i dont want my memory to limit me, im not looking to spend a fortune on it, and i wanna buy a 1gig or 1.5 gigs depending on the price, im runnning an A64 3400+ ( with my oc applied to achieve that, was a 3200+). so whats the best and most stable brand i can buy without breaking my pockets, something under 300. keep gaming inmind

I don't know about the very best memory out there, but I've had my value series Geil PC3200 memory running at 210 MHz for a year now at stock latencies and it's been stable as hell even during extended gamimg sessions. It's not PC3700 or anything crazy, but for only $82 per 512MB stick it's a great value. You could even get three sticks for a cool 1.5 GB and still be way under your $300 target.

Of course, there is better memory out there...

grab a pair of these and you'll be all set....
pc3200 with 2-2-2-5 timings.....Athlon 64's love those tight timings......and its pretty decent overclocking ram too...

if you want something that will give you a guaranteed OC id go with these
decent timings with a guaranteed(sp?) stock speed of 233FSB...
those are $308 normally but theres an INSTANT rebate(none of that mail in BS) so they are $288 now....

those are both awesome considering im running pc2700 on my a64 with an fsb of 218, but i wanna know how is that possible if my rams effective speed its halkf of 333

hmm those g.skills look good to me especially since there pc4400, but whats the latency on them and what does it really mean anyway

Corsair is excellent memory. If you buy thier PC4000 or higher memory, you can expect it to run at pretty high speeds. However your milage will vary.

I had some Samsung PC3200 Cas 2.5 modules I bought when DDR 400 memory was new and few modules were approved for the i875P chipset. Much fewer of them were below Cas 3. So I grabbed some of that stuff and got it to 227MHz (DDR 454) on stock voltage. Overall I was pleased with it.

i was wondering what u guys think of not jus the brands but the levels they have, like corsiar has there value ram and then there xms, ect and so do others. neone have a prefrence? :confused:

empower64 said:
i was wondering what u guys think of not jus the brands but the levels they have, like corsiar has there value ram and then there xms, ect and so do others. neone have a prefrence? :confused:

You will not be able to overclock value RAM very much and it will not run the tighter timings that more expensive RAM using the proper chips is capable of.

I would suggest getting anything with Samsung TCCD chips if you plan to overclock. OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2, Crucial Ballistix, Mushkin PC3200 v2 lvl2, PDP PC3200 w/ XBL, PQI Turbo PC3200, and G. Skill PC4400 are good choices.

at first i was thinking of getting crucial ballistix or corsiar which are both still options if i buy from the store but after doing my reading i think id be a fool to not go with g.skill but ehy dont have heat spreaders that come with them, ahh so many chocies and i want my case to look nice with them. :mad:

thebliX said:
crucial does not use tccd.

Yes i know. They use micron chips.

empower64 said:
at first i was thinking of getting crucial ballistix or corsiar which are both still options if i buy from the store but after doing my reading i think id be a fool to not go with g.skill but ehy dont have heat spreaders that come with them, ahh so many chocies and i want my case to look nice with them. :mad:

Whats so special about G. Skill? Crucial Ballistix and OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2 are both better although the G. Skill may be a little cheaper depending on which model you buy. I notice three different models on Newegg that all say they use Samsung TCCD chips. What the heck is the difference other then price jumps?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...147&manufactory=8476&DEPA=0&sortby=14&order=1

As long as you buy something with Samsung TCCD chips then they will all perform relatively the same.

burningrave101 said:
As long as you buy something with Samsung TCCD chips then they will all perform relatively the same.
Nope, from what I hear the one's with the "brainpower" pcb are the ones to get.

looks like im gonna buy from a local shop that i found these two pricest at

1. 200$ pc3200 corasir xms pro (led lighted ones) (2*512)
2. 200$ pc4000 pdp w/xbl (2*512)

which one of those would u pick for the fastest gaming experience and so on

dont post prices elsewhere i know i can find them cheaper i just can wait for shipping

archevilangel said:
Nope, from what I hear the one's with the "brainpower" pcb are the ones to get.

You are correct. The Patriot RAM uses a brainpower PCB and so do the G.Skill.

I was told the G.Skill PC4400 LE was where it's at, when it comes to overclocking. I hope they were right, because I ordered 1GB of it today from NewEgg. :p

If I had to choose from the 2 though, I'd go with the PDP. I was very close to getting it myself, and I've heard some pretty good things about it.

sweet dude my big thing is the diffrence between pc3200 and pc4000 (shouldnt that be a big thing) neway i found some kingston hyperX for 70 dollars a stick. saying i wnet for a gig and a half would that be better than buying the corsair. its kingston hyper X vs. Corsair xms pro vs. pdp w/xbl tech. please help me out with those 3 choices. with the kngston i can get 1.5 gigs . the other two only 1 gig. im using s754 k8t800 which i heard cant run dual channel. so.. :confused:

you dont want to get 3 sticks of 512 if you are planning on overclocking, stick with only 2 sticks of RAM. Besides the fact that you wont notice any performance difference between 1gig and 1.5gigs of RAM.

I would suggest the PDP out of your two choices.

in gamming will i tell a diffrence between pc4000 and pc3200. the 3200 has highter frequencies than the 4000 but i think thats how it is. so will i?

empower64 said:
in gamming will i tell a diffrence between pc4000 and pc3200. the 3200 has highter frequencies than the 4000 but i think thats how it is. so will i?

If you are not overclocking you will not as both will run at PC3200 speeds. The ONLY reason to get anything over PC3200 is if you are overclocking.

If you are overclocking I would get gskill PC4400.

thnx drew in that case what would u say to go with ocz el gold or kingston hyperx

Xiode said:
I was told the G.Skill PC4400 LE was where it's at, when it comes to overclocking. I hope they were right, because I ordered 1GB of it today from NewEgg. :
Good choice....as long as the other components can keep up with it(mobo, cpu and psu)

actually, g.skill should have some new pc4800 that seems to be guarranteed to do 300+mhz

empower64 said:
hey im doing alot of overclocking and i dont want my memory to limit me, im not looking to spend a fortune on it, and i wanna buy a 1gig or 1.5 gigs depending on the price, im runnning an A64 3400+ ( with my oc applied to achieve that, was a 3200+). so whats the best and most stable brand i can buy without breaking my pockets, something under 300. keep gaming inmind
To keep gaming in mind, first thing that comes to mind is you don't need more than 1Gb of ram for this task. As for ocing, you should try G.Skill pc4400 GBLE (important!), these sticks top out at about 300MHz, so that should be enough for you :) They are also under $300 (although, just barely).
(cf)Eclipse said:
actually, g.skill should have some new pc4800 that seems to be guarranteed to do 300+mhz
Yes, the pc4800 GBLA. That stuff is expensive, though :(

i would strongly suggest the G.skill 4400 le.(275 at newegg) its rated ate 4400 @ 2.5 3 3 7 and at 3200 @ 2 2 2 5 most people can hit 300+ with it. i have it n i like it. another good choice is ocz's new vx stuff ive. its hitting 250 @ 2 2 2 5 with over 3.2 volts. if u want tccd the g.skill is by far the best.

im not gona be overclocking the ram nemore, so now im only interested in gaming

Back