Best Gaming 24 Inch for 300-400?

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
I've seen recommendations for cheaper, and more expensive monitors, but nothing for gamers in this price range. I find monitor technology to be very confusing as theres so many, with so few good reviews. Is there anything hot and new in gaming monitors, or am I looking at something that probably came out a year ago?

Seems that most new 24s that are better aligned with gaming are going to be 16:9 displays. Unless you are getting something from a year ago.

Do you care about the resolution? 1200 vs 1080? If not there are a couple of models that are pretty decent. Check some of the Acers or BenQs. I will be interested to see what people suggest. The new Eco line from BenQ looks mighty interesting (if you do not mind a white monitor).

Also, are you in the US, CA, EU, or somewhere else? From my research that plays a factor too. Some models are country specific.

Noob question, will you gain some fps in games going from a 1200 to a 1080?

I would say yes, reducing the resolution that your rig is required to put out will cause an increase in frame-rate. But the answer is not that simple.

You have to consider how significant is that change going to be?

The human eye registers something around 24 fps (don't kill me guys if I didn't get this spot on). So I would venture to say that if your frame rates are not dropping below say 35 fps (arbitrary safety margin of 10 fps, from personal experience) are you really going to be able to tell the difference? If you are playing MW2 with a minimum fps of 55 @1920x1200 and the switch to 1080 gets you to say a min of 60 fps will you really be able to tell the difference? Probably not. At least I would not be able to. (Please note that I am talking here about the minimum frames you hit, not the average. I assume that if your min is 35 your averages are well above that.).

Now if your rig is struggling to run things smooth on 1920x1200 I doubt that a switch to 1920x1080 is miraculously going to make games playable. Also, on the other hand if your rig is blazing games as is will an increase in fps going to make a real impact? I would venture to say that the margin of people this switch to 1080 will help/improve their gaming experience on the same rig is small.

I am interested to see what other people think.

I would say yes, reducing the resolution that your rig is required to put out will cause an increase in frame-rate. But the answer is not that simple.

You have to consider how significant is that change going to be?

The human eye registers something around 24 fps (don't kill me guys if I didn't get this spot on). So I would venture to say that if your frame rates are not dropping below say 35 fps (arbitrary safety margin of 10 fps, from personal experience) are you really going to be able to tell the difference? If you are playing MW2 with a minimum fps of 55 @1920x1200 and the switch to 1080 gets you to say a min of 60 fps will you really be able to tell the difference? Probably not. At least I would not be able to. (Please note that I am talking here about the minimum frames you hit, not the average. I assume that if your min is 35 your averages are well above that.).

Now if your rig is struggling to run things smooth on 1920x1200 I doubt that a switch to 1920x1080 is miraculously going to make games playable. Also, on the other hand if your rig is blazing games as is will an increase in fps going to make a real impact? I would venture to say that the margin of people this switch to 1080 will help/improve their gaming experience on the same rig is small.

I am interested to see what other people think.

Actually, most human eyes register more than 60FPS. Not all human eyes are made equal. Not even close...

For a game to be completely smooth, it needs to have minimum of 50 to 60FPS for me. I can tell when it hits 40s easily, but over 60, it depends on the movement being generated. You can often still tell up to 80FPS during fast movements.

Yep, I am wrong about the FPS the human eye perceives. The question still remains though. Will a downgrade to 1080 help your frame rate? I would say yes most likely it will. But the overall impact depends on what frame rate you were at to begin with.

I'd guess-timate an 8 to 12% improvement moving down to 1080p. (Note - 1920x1080 is exactly 10% less than 1920x1200)

Would this depend highly on his rig, game he is running, his other settings?

I guess reading my comments it could be a bit miss-leading the other direction.

I'd say wait a few more weeks for the Asus & Acer 120hz models. Otherwise go for any of the 23"/24" Asus/Benq/Samsung/etc. models.

I plan on gaming LoL, left for dead 2, starcraft 2, diablo 3 at high settings. I plan on getting a 5800 series of video card at some point in the new year when games become more demanding. As far as resolutions go I don't really know the benefits and drawbacks to 1200 vs 1080. I prettymuch just want the resolution to be at whats most normal for games in next 2 years. Acers got some hot new gaming monitors coming out soon? I wish it was a little more cut and dry about which monitor to get. It seems like you can't buy a monitor based on its stats alone, like a tv, quality varies greatly amung models with identical stats. Right now I have a VX922 Viewsonic. It was fantastic new, but it feels kinda dark, and need a widescreen with newer games.

Back