Best gamer Intel MB for my QX9650

Duo Joe

Limp Gawd
Im having problems with my 780i and QX9650. Others have suggested moving to an Intel MB. I hate to be a snob, but price really isnt in issue. I recently bought an over clocked 4870x2 that Id like to crossfire with another card. Can you guys help me decide?

How this:

ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel?

The Rampage is a great board. It would be my top choice if I were in your position.

Thank you. Do you think I can be (semi) sure of not having the same problems gaming wise while using the 4870x2 with an Intel motherboard as Ive had with my 780i? I'd hate to go to the trouble to up grade to that MB and still have the issues Ive had with the 780i.

I don't know what issues you've had with the 780i, so I can't say anything about that.

Planning on Crossfire? If so, X38.X48 most likely. Kinda spendy. The P45 is also an awesome alternative for higher FSB overclocks.

Planning on Crossfire? If so, X38.X48 most likely. Kinda spendy. The P45 is also an awesome alternative for higher FSB overclocks.

Id like to crossfire two 4870x2 cards. I dont have crossfire experience. How does it work in comparison to SLI?

Will that 4870 work BETTER with that Intel motherboard than it did for me with my current 780i?

Thanks.

Unless you had any specific issues with your 780i board, your 4870X2 should perform identically in an Intel board. As for CF versus SLI, both are pretty much equally good at this point. CF does have the benefit of being able to support dual monitors though, whereas you can only use a single monitor in SLI mode.

Unless you had any specific issues with your 780i board, your 4870X2 should perform identically in an Intel board. As for CF versus SLI, both are pretty much equally good at this point. CF does have the benefit of being able to support dual monitors though, whereas you can only use a single monitor in SLI mode.

I removed the two 8800's, uninstalled the drivers, booted into safe mode and used driver cleaner, installed the card (4870x2) installed Cat. 8.9 and rebooted. No game would work more than 30-60 seconds before they all crashed and rebooted the computer! I removed the card, did the same with Cat. 8.9 (driver cleaner) installed my 2 8800's and loaded up the drivers and everything is stable. I can play any game (again) wihout issues.

That's what I mean by "Will the 4870 work better with an Intel board than it worked on my 780i" because I dont want to spend the moner for that Asus motherboard if when I plug in that 4870 I still cant play any games......

Hell, I could just get a couple 280GTX's and not have to worry about it if Im going to have all this trouble with the 4870.....

Tom

Try a fresh install of Windows with the X2. If that doesn't work, you may have a dud card. Assuming all of your components were in working order, you'd have no problem running that card on a Rampage.

Seeing as You run ATI cards .. I would def. go with a intel chipset x38 or x48.

I have heard many good things about the Rampage suggested.. tho never had one.

But .. I would also like to suggest the DFI DK x48 :) As long as you do not need things such as Firewire .. these boards rock. And cross fire support.
Or another of DFI's offerings tho more expensive UT x48/38 or LT x48/38

BUT .. To be completely fair here .. I am totaly biased towards DFI boards :p

Price not an issue, then rampage extreme would be the pick. Has literally everything, and at that price, might as well throw in a kitchen sink too.

asus/gigabyte/DFI.

sort by highest price and pick one :p also X48/P45 are really your only choices.

Im having problems with my 780i and QX9650. Others have suggested moving to an Intel MB. I hate to be a snob, but price really isnt in issue. I recently bought an over clocked 4870x2 that Id like to crossfire with another card. Can you guys help me decide?

How this:

ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel?

After you buy it, you can celebrate by placing a bunch of money on top of a brand-new CPU with no heatsink! :) Might as well, huh? Not to be a snob or anything....

Yes, I suppose this is a bit of a flame, but I couldn't help myself. <shrug>

After you buy it, you can celebrate by placing a bunch of money on top of a brand-new CPU with no heatsink! :) Might as well, huh? Not to be a snob or anything....

Yes, I suppose this is a bit of a flame, but I couldn't help myself. <shrug>

Wise guy. Ok, I just bought one of these:ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel and some DDR3 2000 to go with it. We'll see how that stuff works......

Thanks for the advice guys.

I just opened my door and there she was. Drool. Now to start working......

Let us all know how it does oc wise, and if your issue was corrected.
Pics would also be nice haha :)

Back