Best Free Remote Desktop Software?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I have been using UltraVNC for years on my Windows 7 x64 machine. I havn't really had much issues. I especially love the fact that I can switch view to the other screen since I have dual monitors.

However, I recently built a new system and was wondering if there is a better free alternative out there? Especially one that could be used through a secure connection or encryption as I would mainly be using it at work.

Thanks!

Have not tired others but RealVNC is good.

I paid for their upgraded version (good for a year) but didn't notice a difference (from their free version) at all over a wifi network.

Thanks! Debating between Logmein Free and Teamviewer. Think it is time to drop UltraVNC, especially that one does not have to mess around with port forwarding and DynDNS (my account just got expired for just 30 days of inactivity).

I see that TeamViewer also supports multi monitors, and both solutions encrypt the connection. However, which is more stable/smoother/faster?

It's neat that logmein can be accessed through any web browser, but it makes me think the performance will be laggy? Also, TeamViewer has TeamViewer Portable so I can log in from any machine without needing admin rights as no software will need to be installed.

Leaning towards TeamViewer. I've used it for years to support family/friends but never for my home PC's.

Last edited:
It's neat that logmein can be accessed through any web browser, but it makes me think the performance will be laggy? Also, TeamViewer has TeamViewer Portable so I can log in from any machine without needing admin rights as no software will need to be installed.

Leaning towards TeamViewer. I've used it for years to support family/friends but never for my home PC's.
The ideal choice for you may depend on other factors. For example, if your needs are more toward user support which requires having someone at the destination machine (such as remote walkthroughs), then TeamViewer works well as a simple one-off option. If you need to manage multiple remote machines (which may not have a person present), would like a dashboard of registered machines, or to have management options to allow/deny user accounts to certain remote machines, then LogMeIn would be a better fit.

For LogMeIn, there is a (optional) supplemental driver that can be installed during the typical client tools installation that makes the responsiveness even better.

Personally, I prefer LogMeIn over TeamViewer; however, I've used both, and the interactive experience has been very positive with both products.

My main focus is to be able to access my home machine from work.

I use TeamViewer all the time for friends/family, but always used UltraVNC to connect to home computers when not at home.

"Personally, I prefer LogMeIn over TeamViewer; however, I've used both, and the interactive experience has been very positive with both products. "

Why do you prefer logMeIn?

Why do you prefer logMeIn?
1 - Connect from a web browser, instead of a client tool, which is useful if I need to borrow another person's machine.
2 - Admin interface of registered devices.
3 - Remotely execute WOL command. (I've had a few bonehead moments where I accidentally shutdown the remote machine.)

I prefer TeamViewer over RDP because:
- don't need to open ports (unless I'm mistaken about RDP)
- build in FTP-like interface to send files without needing GUI
- Android clients (I've used some Android RDP clients that were okay at best)
- Multi-monitor support
- Faster (somehow the way it processes the on screen data is faster in my experience)

bonus: there's also a version that doesn't install but still lets you connect to a remote computer using a passkey - very convenient for helping my friends / family remotely.

Just wanted to report back. I have been using TeamViewer for few weeks and am in LOVE with it!

The way it can switch between my multiple displays, or combine them all in one screen is simply awesome. File transfers are easy and quick. Almost no lag and that is with 256 Bit encryption.

No more having to remember DNS addresses, port numbers etc. I will continue to use UltraVNC on my Windows Server for internal LAN usage, but outside of that I will never use VNC again! :c)

Please back this claim up with a source.

If you run it without a password, yeah its risky. But if you use a strong password, encryption and for added security a VPN then your perfectly fine.

The only downside of RDP is you have to forward the ports to the machine. For one off machines its easier to use something that is central managed, and doesn't require PAT such as logmein, teamviewer, Ammyy.com, gotomypc, splash desktop, jumpdesktop and a whole crap ton of them that are out there.

Teamviewer is solid, especially for helping out remote users/family with ease.

Also used Dameware in the past, had a nice push install option (as long as you have admin rights on the remote machine) and remote removal, etc.

Can you run enable RDP without a password? I dont think that you can.

I trust myself to secure my system more than I trust logmein or teamviewer. Seems like it would be easier and more of a target to get their database of data vs brute forcing mine and if they are attacking me I'll know about it.

Can you run enable RDP without a password? I dont think that you can.

Out of the box - no, but it can be done. I would hope that anyone who wants to patch their termsrv.dll file is smart enough to do it without allowing blank passwords though. ;)

TeamViewer free is more feature-rich than LogMeIn free, but the issues I have with TV is the "thanks for playing fair" popups and the fact that it often kills Aero Glass when I exit a remote connection and I have to do a stop/start uxsms command to get it back.

LMIF does not do either of these things, which is why I use it instead. I do, however, dump the TV Quick Support exe on anyone's computer I support, so I can easily help them if they need it.

You can save the login info for RDP, it's almost the same as no password anyway.

I've got WHS 2011, which provides access to all the computers on my network thru a web admin interface which uses RDP. Only need to forward ports for the actual WHS machine, it handles everything else. Been using it for a few years and works great here.

GoSupportNow and TurboMeeting are as feature-filled and easy to setup as is TeamViewer.

My workplace uses TeamViewer. Their pricing is kinda insane. But it's a damn good tool.
It isn't perfect. Certain permissions combinations in AD can make it almost as useful as teats on a boar.
The quick support client is a friggin GODSEND though. The hardest part of taking remote control now is talking internet illiterate morons through getting to the page and downloading the client.

As an alternate tool, we use AMMYY if TV is misbehaving.

When I'm doing setups for clients, combining it with the Snipping Tool and Word makes creating fully visual setup documents for them a snap.

The only downside to TV is that their client tracker/launcher sucks and their online service for the same thing isn't much better.

sorry for the bump but reading about teamviewer's quick support got me wondering if by this time 2+ years later... is there an alternative to TVquick support that will let me keep (install w/o admin rights) on say my parent's computer where it wont hog resources and should I need to connect in, go in without interaction from them?

I've been using anydesk for about the last three months. I have used teamviewer and still use it to support my family. I use anydesk so that I can remote into my rig at home, and it doesn't auto close the connection after about 2 hours.

Im a fan of Splashtop.. Don't think its completely free, but it isn't that exspensive..

Back