Best Free PVR software

shaft

Limp Gawd
right now i am using ATI MMC for my old ATI TV wonder tuner,. is there a better free alternative out there?

/me points to the stickies.

Mediaportal, gbpvr and chris tv (lite) are the freeware windows programs that spring to mind. MythTV is the linux option. Check that they support your tuner card though.

the best pvr freeware is gbpvr but you need a pvr150 or the pvr150mce to use it.if you do please donate to sub the developer as he has done a great job.at this stage he could sell the gbpvr software as the rival of tivo,that good.

I dont know how anybody could enjoy using gbpvr. It's very limited and installation is definitely not a pleasant experience. It's interface feels old in design and visual content. I guess the best way to put it is GBPVR feels like SageTV in it's infancy.

If you ask me all free pvr software comes down to picking the lesser of many evils. I was (and somewhat still am) a fan of MediaPortal. The install was relatively simple and enjoyable (except for the tv guide). The interface is great and skinnable. It's also highly configurable. The only problem is it's a bit buggy. But so is the rest of the free PVR software.

If you have any questions, please stop by #htpc on EFNet. I'm known as revolve_ on there and there's plenty of other's who have plenty of experience with many of the PVR software titles.

BTW, I use SageTV.. it's well worth the money. :cool:

gbpvr is also skinnable and has many plugins just like media portal,i heaven't have any problems with it,the best pvr is tivo and still crashes.so there is no perfect pvr.it all comes down to hardware that way you avoid problems.also media portal records in drm format,gbpvr records in mpeg2 format no restrictions.

thought I would chime in saying I used to use GBPVR as well in XP Pro, now that I use Win XP MCE, i just use the Media Center TV SW. GBPRV is really good for what it is.

Back