Best (free preferably) Software Firewall that allows WinXP ICS (or has good builtin)

rhouck

2[H]4U
Ok, I use Windows XP SP2.

Modem -> Main box.

There are two NICs on that box. From the 2nd NIC, internet is shared using WinXP builtin ICS to a hub. From that hub it splits to two more computers.

The other two computers use Kerio Personal Firewall. Works great. But doesn't seem to allow ICS (tried it on the main rig, wouldn't work)

I've tried Kerio Winroute. Possibly because I'm a moron, I had a lot of problems getting it to work with various programs, notably Steam (for cs). No matter what I tried, it kept blocking random ports regardless.

I run a CS server off my main rig. To do so I need to give out my IP address... obviously this is not so good when I have nothing but builtin winxp firewall :)

So I need to a recommendation on something that will:
1. Allow WinXP ICS
-or-
2. Has its own ICS that hopefully works easily with Steam.

Not an option:
1. buy a router (I don't want to among other reasons, but I realize this would be easiest)
2. put the hub first (I only get 1 IP)
3. Put an old computer up as a linux box and run mono or something (I don't have another I'm willing to convert to Linux... sorry guys :) )

Thanks!

ZoneAlarm is ICS compatible. I used in a similar setup in the past.

I know you said that you didn't want to buy a router. But for $40, it's going to be the bvest solution.

I was wondering if ZoneAlarm was, thanks I'll give it a shot :)

Any other ideas are still appreciated ;)

Not a fan of software firewalls....especially ZoneAlarm (I'd format my computer if that even came near it)...but I've dabbled with Ghostwall lately.

VERY light.
http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=ghostwall

Sygate was a great one, but Symantec bought it up, no more updates or development..so bye bye.

Tiny was another great one..but Computer Associates bought it up.

Kerio..no more freebie version..another good one down the tubes

Outpost...same....

Router with NAT my preferred means anways.

Why?

I haven't used ZoneAlarm in over 2 years and grew to hate it.. but what makes this newest version so bad?

I really like Kerio Personal but I hate that Winroute doesn't have a simple application learning feature

Ghostwall is intriguing (for its low resource usage and simplicity). How is it superior beyond that? How well does it allow ICS? Easy application learning for setup?

Ask a lot of people who work on/repair computers for a living, you'll find many don't like the mess ZA can turn computers into. I've seen it cause lots of problems, plus it doesn't uninstall cleanly...a big no-no in my book.

I'm liking Ghostwall (about as much as I can like a software firewall...I really prefer just a good router)...because it's so tiny, doesn't install all over your OS, appears to uninstall cleanly, and doesn't bog down your computer as much as others.

It's not as, hmmm..hate using this term......but...it's not as "newbie friendly" as some others, doens't have those "wizards" and hand holding stuff like that. You sort of have to understand how software firewalls work..with processing orders of rules. If you squint your eyes a bit..kind of reminds me of a very simplied ISA Server.

rhouck said:
Why?

I haven't used ZoneAlarm in over 2 years and grew to hate it.. but what makes this newest version so bad?

I really like Kerio Personal but I hate that Winroute doesn't have a simple application learning feature

Ghostwall is intriguing (for its low resource usage and simplicity). How is it superior beyond that? How well does it allow ICS? Easy application learning for setup?

hehe well I'm a bit of a noobie in this regard, I'll admit that ;) it's mostly there is very little i want to do with it that I hate to make it super complicated...

tho ZoneAlarm is pissing me off... it's using 35-40% of my cpu! WTF?!

off to try and setup Ghostwall i guess :)

rhouck said:
hehe well I'm a bit of a noobie in this regard, I'll admit that ;) it's mostly there is very little i want to do with it that I hate to make it super complicated...

tho ZoneAlarm is pissing me off... it's using 35-40% of my cpu! WTF?!

off to try and setup Ghostwall i guess :)

Did you give it a go, yet? I am installing XP64 right now and am looking for a decent firewall. If ghostwall is shit I'll have to stick with the windows firewall, i guess, even though it does not monitor outgoing traffic... :(

I haven't, been too busy. Taking it down for next couple weeks anyway, prolly won't dink with it until January :(

Back