Best free download manager?

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I was wondering what you guys opinion on what the best download manager was for me on dial-up. I want something with no ads/spy/adware I want something that can queue, and pause downloads, it would also be nice if it could integrate into mozilla and do a miror search but that would be asking too much.

To put it simply I want a free DAP that doesnt have all the adware to back it up.

thanks a lot to anyone who knows of something like this.

PS. I have looked at the free ware database thing in the stickies section... but there is too many choices for me to figure out which one is actually any good or not.

Try searching on download.com, they have alot of free/shareware for download managers. I found a few there, but IMO, I believe DAP to be the best.

Originally posted by TsayYote
Try searching on download.com, they have alot of free/shareware for download managers. I found a few there, but IMO, I believe DAP to be the best.

I second DAP. Today it maxed out my connection downloading the far cry demo.

yea, I had DAP but it wasnt an actual payed version... if ya get my drift. so I uninstalled it and I really liked it, but I just don't have the money to pay for it.

Flashget is the best i've used. I like it alot better then DAP. It has several features that come in really handy. Especially its ability to show you hidden links :).

Flashget says that it's adware when I go to instal it. What kind of "ad-ware" does it actually have in it burninggrave?

I havn't even tried firefox yet, but I saw some other thread and it seems a little too unstable for me to switch to it from mozilla.

I havn't tried stardownload yet.

let us know what you finally decide on. i'm looking for a new download manager myself. i was using leechget, but it just kinda stopped working. it was nice until then.

I remember leechget, I used to use it too like a REALLY long time ago. I don't even remember if it was ad supported any more; was it?

Right now I'm testing out star downloader, but it doesnt seem too great to me downloads from download.com at least don't seem to work with it, even when only establishing one simultaneous connection. I also tried that other one, flashget, didn't like the banner ad on the top of the window.

When I had leechget it seemed like it crashed a lot and it failed a lot, do the newer versions still do that?

I don't have dailup (thank god) but I really like the firefox's DL manager before that I used Leechget, best DL manager outside of FF's IMO.

hmm... you guys REALLY like that firefox huh? Maybe I'll give it a shot, I really like mozilla and thunderbird, I've heard some stability things with firefox though.

EDIT: Alright this is what I think I'm going to do for now. Go back to using leechget until they comes out with 1.0 firefox and then start using that, because I'm like a stability/neat freak when it comes to my computer. lol.

Back