Best flash memory card reader?

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
1,171
I swear to god I've probably created around 10 threads over the course of about two years covering this issue. I'm looking for the absolute fastest flashreader on the market, firewire or not. I want it to read as many formats as possible and I need the fastest speeds as I'm sick of dealing with slow transfers, also need one that is reliable. Everytime I ask for help on this, I just get recommended to some cheap pos.
 
Perhaps it's because not many people use flash readers. My dad's digital camera just connects by USB to the computer; no reader is necessary.

I'd say buy five cheap ones (with different chipsets, if you can find out which one a particular one uses) and keep the fastest. Give the others away or sell them.
 
Perhaps it's because not many people use flash readers. My dad's digital camera just connects by USB to the computer; no reader is necessary.

I'd say buy five cheap ones (with different chipsets, if you can find out which one a particular one uses) and keep the fastest. Give the others away or sell them.
I wouldn't know how to judge them since it could be the memory or something like that, too time consuming too. It just seems odd that there isn't really a definitive choice, much like powersupplies except a lot worse...
 
A bit of googling turned up the Sandisk Extreme IV / Firewire as the leading candidate for CF.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7896-8475
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf-sd.htm
yeah but thats only CF.. I need a card reader thats really fast and can read lots of formats so I don't have to deal with this format bullshit for a while... One thing I'm glad is that because I waited, they've since released cards based off of the SD-HC (High capacity) format which directly effects me because the next smartphone I get will have to have support for this. Sucks though, because they released micro sd, now the companies think they can just start using micro sd instead of mini SD which sucks because that hurts capacity as I now have to wait even longer for a micro sd card of the same size for mini sd.
 
I saw some review a couple days back not sure what site, maybe anandtech or something that reviewed a 55 or 56 in 1 card reader for pretty cheap 30bucks or so that had really good transfer speeds. Try googlling 55 or 56 in 1 card reader should come up with it.
 
Hi,

You can check out my website
CARDSPEED

It's right that the controller is the key to the performance of a card reader. I even wrote a little tool that reads out the USB ID. Some companies patch that ID so that you can't get the true ID of the controller.
Identify your USB reader

Hans-Jürgen
 
Back
Top