best firewire audio interfaces

leftheaded

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
147
Are there any magazines or websites that do good comparisons for audio interfaces (eg something like whathifi, but for computer audio)?


Also, what do think are the best firewire interfaces at various price points?

< $250

$250 - $500

$500 - $1000

$1000+
 
For magazines, you can take a look at Mix, EQ, Electronic Musician and Sound on Sound. They all do interface reviews every now and then.

I'm not going to get into what's best at what price point, but I'll just go ahead and tell you that RME's Fireface 800 is probably the best Firewire interface on the market. I think it's ~$1800.

Firewire is an interface. Could you clarify what you're asking?
He's looking for Firewire-based audio interfaces, i.e. external "sound cards".
 
yeah, the fireface 800 does look sweet... i was comparing that one to the Digi003 rack. either way, i'm probably going to end up buying something under $500... trying not to go overkill like i always do lol

my short list is:
echo audiofire 4
edirol FA-66
presonus FP10 (new version of the firepod)
 
For magazines, you can take a look at Mix, EQ, Electronic Musician and Sound on Sound. They all do interface reviews every now and then.

I'm not going to get into what's best at what price point, but I'll just go ahead and tell you that RME's Fireface 800 is probably the best Firewire interface on the market. I think it's ~$1800.


He's looking for Firewire-based audio interfaces, i.e. external "sound cards".


I agree here, RME is a good choice for windows users. Then we have Apogee (which is MAC only)


Unfortunately, I have neither, curently using a MOTU ultralite.Both listed above are overkill for what I'm doing.


Research on firewire chipset compatibility before purchasing, some interfaces don't get along well with non Texas Intstrument firewire chipsets.

Personally, the ultralite is the one of the better non rack mount solutions. Your needs may differ
 
Research on firewire chipset compatibility before purchasing
Excellent, excellent advice. There tends to be a world of difference between what you'll find on the better 1394 add-on cards and what you'll find integrated into motherboards, except in the case of (most) Apple desktops.
 
Back
Top