• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Best Firewall?

Avengeance

Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
773
I am looking for a good firewall for windows. Does anyone know of a good one that I can get for my gaming computer that works well?
 
I prefer having a router protect me...no CPU load, routers have their own CPU and RAM.

For software, if you don't have a router, Ghostwall is very lightweight and non-obtrusive. Actually the XP firewall with sp2 is quite good it block inbound too.
 
I do have a router, just not sure if its enough protection. I use Kaspersky anti virus and sometimes it lets me know of net attacks. Some days I can get a lot of people port scanning or pinging me, or whatever they are doing. Wasnt sure if they could get through the router or not.
 
If you don't have ports open/forwarded on your router..let them port scan all day long. Your router is doing its job. Keep up your windows updates, make sure you don't have a blank Admin password, you have one of the best antivirus programs too.

If you insist on having a software firewall to snif outbound and nag ya...Kapersky makes a good one in their whole suite.
 
If you uninstall it..make sure you run a TCP/Winsock repair utility. I've seen so many PCs messed up from it..even uninstalling it there's so much junk left to screw things up.
 
Back
Top