Best fans for H50?

myounage

Weaksauce
I am currently using the H50 stock fan (alone since I do not have a paired (equal rpm / st. pressure) fan to run off the same line). I am finding that my cooling is not adequate for my tastes. I am hitting 66-70C loads in LinX with a 4GB problem size. Seal is IC 7, though I did break it once to test a problem. Temps only went up 2-4 C after that though. I do plan on re-sealing it when I acquire new fans. My case will not fit the Scythe Kaze Ultra .. things in push/pull, as they collide with the H50. 38mm thick fans will not work, they need to be the same thickness as the fan that came with the PC(29?). A single one of those fans sounds like a jet engine, but cools really well! 15-20C difference, so I would be willing to TRY slowing it down .. somehow. What I am looking for in a set of push/pull fans is a balance of quiet and performance. I would also like PWM functionality for noise control, but that is somewhat of a luxury.

I am not running my 920 at an extreme overclock. I seek a stable, functional OC that can be run over the long term. It is running 160 base clock with an adaptive multiplier that caps at 21x, giving me a load OC of 3.36 GHZ. My voltages are as follows

VCORE: 1.13v
QPI/VTT: 1.265v
DRAM: 1.64v

With the current cooling setup my chip idles around 40C and loads up at the high 60s. The concerning thing is that my system temperature idles around 50. With the big, crazy loud fan that temperature is significantly lower (mid 30s, never over 40.) Given my needs, what would be the best fans to run push/pull with, and is there anything I can do with my Kaze Ultra while I wait?

When I had H50, I noticed that very high rpm fan doesn't effect the temps, it just increased the noise.
I went for Yate Loon 120mm fans in push pool config. They are quite and gave me the best temp.
I also tried Antec trispeed fans. They are also very effective.

yes i like the yate loon medium fans i think they push like 70cfm and are quiet. i got 4 in my case right now, 2 on my heat sink and 2 for the case

You could put your Ultra Kaze on and just run it at low RPMs. The 38mm depth and more highly angled blades still move a ton more air than a normal 25mm depth fan. You will need to look for some new screws though, the stock screws aren't long enough to accommodate a 38mm fan. You can slip a regular case screw into the open corner of the ultra on the push side, but if you want a ultra on the pull side you'll need some pretty long screws.

You could put your Ultra Kaze on and just run it at low RPMs. The 38mm depth and more highly angled blades still move a ton more air than a normal 25mm depth fan. You will need to look for some new screws though, the stock screws aren't long enough to accommodate a 38mm fan. You can slip a regular case screw into the open corner of the ultra on the push side, but if you want a ultra on the pull side you'll need some pretty long screws.

This.

What you want is static pressure, not necessairily high RPMs. 38mm thick 120mms really help with this. My personal favorites are (obviously, if you look at my sig) Panaflo mid speeds. Love these things.

the new san ace's or the Ap15's or yates

2 of them please! 120x38mm

heard they work wonders. please do not attempt to get the 5400rpm you will end up hurting yourself and your motherboard could fly

I tried some thermaltake fans with my h50 and the thing sounded like a jet engine, it was terrible so I put the stock ones back on. Are those Panaflo's quiet?

Personally I would prefer a single 38mm pusher to a 2x25mm push/pull config if 2x38mm isn't possible in your case, just noticed I didn't make that explicit in my first post.

This.

What you want is static pressure, not necessairily high RPMs. 38mm thick 120mms really help with this. My personal favorites are (obviously, if you look at my sig) Panaflo mid speeds. Love these things.

What should really be noted here is the word "Panaflo" and not 38mm, the first ones suggested (Ultra Kaze) are utter crap, all of their other fans (such as the GT fans) are great, but the Ultra Kaze are just awful and have a large amount of bearing noise even at low speeds.

Wound up getting the two Gelid fans. Installed them as exhaust, so my CPU temps fell only marginally. My system board temperature fell by 20 degrees though, and my gpu temps are lower now as well. The two of them are more quiet than the original fan. Overall satisfied.

Wound up getting the two Gelid fans. Installed them as exhaust, so my CPU temps fell only marginally. My system board temperature fell by 20 degrees though, and my gpu temps are lower now as well. The two of them are more quiet than the original fan. Overall satisfied.

Can you link me to which fans you purchased? I've been considering getting a couple of new fans that are better then the stock ones it came with but I dont want anything loud.

I was using a couple of Scythe Gentle Typhoons with mine.
Kept a 3Ghz PII X4 @ 3.3Ghz ~ 42c under load.
The only problem I had was dust. I need to find a good non-restrictive intake filter.

Sorry to thread-jack, but I've been searching to find detailed info on the H50 to no avail. For you H50 owners out there, how tall is the water block? And do the tubes going into the water block swivel down? I need to fit a CPU cooler into a tight spot and need efficient cooling without a lot of head room. I'm thinking less than 3". Thanks in advance...

The tubes do not swivel and they are stiff as all hell so I don't think it would work if you're dealing with 3"; I'm pretty sure the block itself is not more than 3" but the tubes protruding out definitely will be.

Back