Best fan setup for Corsair 650D.

meyerkev

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I just got my 650D in the mail today, and I'm building my first desktop. What's the best setup for the fans? There's a front 200mm, a rear 120/140mm, and a top 200mm, which I can replace with 2 140mm fans if needed.

CPU: i7-2600k OC'd as far as I dare.
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212
GFX cards: CFX XFX 6970's.
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO. It looks like it has 3 3-pin connectors, and 3 4-pin connectors. The 3 current case fans use 3 pin connectors, while the current CPU fan uses a 4-pin connector.

At the moment, I'm thinking: Top and front go into the case, rear pulls out, with CPU cooler fan facing out towards the rear fan.

Will this work?
Is there a better setup?
Should I upgrade the stock fans for better cooling? If so, should I stay with 200mm on top or change to 2x140mm?
Is there any prep I can/should do before installing the CPU cooler?
Which fan/fans should I get to do a push/pull setup on the cooler?

/And mods, if you think this should be moved to cooling, feel free.

Last edited:
I've had a 650D for a little while now, and what I think I am going to do is leave the 200mm on the front as intake. I'm gonna get 2 140mm or 120mm fans for the top as intake, with a filter on the top to keep the bunnies away, and then I have an H50 with push/pull as exhaust.

I thought about switching the H50 to intake and leaving the top as exhaust, but then the H50 fans will pull in the hot air from my video card and psu, resulting in worse cooling. so I am going to try the above setup.

Right now i have the one 200mm intake in the front, H50 push/pull in the back(exhuast), and a 200mm on top (exhaust). my CPU idles at around 30C and hits about 40-42C on load, the GPU is about 36C idle, 42 while playing TF2(havent done a full out test of the GPU yet). we'll see if those temps change when I switch the top to intake.

Back