my recent data disaster has made me decide to invest in an external HD
I was going to get another large internal but figured external would be smarter
any recommendations on a particular brand
If you are concerned about archiving data, just burn it onto DVDs, make 2 or even 3 copies and store them in a safe environment. This is much cheaper unless you have 400GB+ worth of data.
And takes forever... even burning 20 DVDs for only 100gb takes a good couple hours of swapping dvds. Optical media is pretty slow compared to hard drives; 16x is only 20 MB/s.
Get yourself a Seagate. Good shock characteristics to handle the rigors of being an external drive. An aluminum 3.5" enclosure will do also... Vantec and Bytecc have some available.
I personally have always liked Maxtor drives, never had one let me down (knock on wood). In fact, I have a 2 gig maxtor in a side system that has been running pretty much constantly 24/7 for about 8 years.
I have a 300GB Maxtor external and love it. The metal case is durable as is the drive (it survived a car accident in my glove box!). The damn thing just works. Plus it doesn't freak out if you randomly disconnect it without using the unmount utility.