Best External Backup Drive?

Retardo

Gawd
Im thinkin on getting a 200gb Maxtor one touch.

is it any good? any other suggestions? are there any w/ both USB and FireWire?

I have a 200GB external OneTouch drive and it works just fine. However, work paid for that. If I were getting one for myself I'd buy a normal internal hard drive and an external USB-IDE enclosure.

I got a Maxtor 200GB hard drive for $40 after rebate a few weeks ago. I don't know if you could stil find a deal like that, but there's always some good deals out there on hard drives. An external enclosure will run you $20-$45 or so. The combo of the two is much less than what you'd pay for a OneTouch drive (Looks like they're about $145 for 200GB now).

thats a good idea. they both work the same? are there any pluses to buying the real backup drive itself rather than "making one"?

Keep in mind the warranty on those "one touch" type drives. They usually are one year. If you buy a Seagate retail kit you get a 5yr warranty and some basic back up software. You can get a usb2 encloser for $30 to $40. It would probably be cheaper and you get a better warranty.

Retardo said:
thats a good idea. they both work the same? are there any pluses to buying the real backup drive itself rather than "making one"?

They will both work about the same. The one touch drives have software running in background to see when you hit the button and then run. With the make yourself drive, you have to say go. They will perform about the same on getting data across the bus.

well i have 2 HDs...i can use 1 HD enclosure things for both HDs? just switch them out right?

dont kno anything bout HD enclosures so what are good relieable ones? Perferbly one w/ both USB and FireWire.

Thanks alot guys.

Retardo said:
well i have 2 HDs...i can use 1 HD enclosure things for both HDs? just switch them out right?

dont kno anything bout HD enclosures so what are good relieable ones? Perferbly one w/ both USB and FireWire.

In my encloser, it is not easy to switch out the drives. You may want to consider 2 enclosers or a bigger hard drive to backup both your disks. You could always use compression in the back up software to save space.

I have a vantex nexstar 3. I like it. You can browse to what ever you like here.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Subcategory.asp?Subcategory=92

They do have both usb2 and firewire.

Back