Best Dye-Sub Printer (cheap!)

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
What are the good dye-subs now? I was looking at the Canon CP-220. The higher models don't look any better quality wise, just give battery or wireless hookups, etc.

Rustynuts said:
What are the good dye-subs now? I was looking at the Canon CP-220. The higher models don't look any better quality wise, just give battery or wireless hookups, etc.

The difference in quality between dye-subs isn't very much, they all look amazing. The points to look for are color management and (optionally) which models have an overcoat.

I have a Sony DPP-EX5 that I picked up for $200, and the prints are outstanding. With some pictures I'll fiddle with the color a little bit, but for the most part, they all look terrific right out of the camera. The overcoat protects the print EXTREMELY well, and you can choose between a gloss or matte finish on the overcoat.

steve

i have the HiTi 730PS. Excellent photo printer. But like NerveGas said, all dye-subs look excellent. I got mine because it does 4x6, 5x7 and 6x8, most others only do 4x6. Also, the consumables are somewhat cheaper ($15 for a 60-pack of 4x6 paper and ink cartridge).

Unless you live in the middle of no where, you shouldn't waste your time printing on a home dye sub.. just goto your local photo finisher and have it done professionally for much cheaper (overall).

Rustynuts said:
That was my thread too! But I was looking for mainly ink jets in that one.
Whoops, my bad on that one ;). I thought I'd seen your name somewhere...

BTW I didn't know you were looking for inkjets at the time. Hopefully my post in that thread has more relavence to your situation now.

Actually I'm in a quandry because I've had 2 printers crap out within a month. One a cheap Canon, and my other old, expensive, HP all-in-one. So I really need 2 printers now (or as in the other thread a good networked one). The photo only printer would be secondary. Guess I'm leaning to the Pixma 4000R since it has LAN.

Back