Best DVD Burner?

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, I'm looking to find out which is the best DVD burner and which is the best media to burn on. I'm also looking for cost saving as well.

Thanks!

The best DVD burner depends on your needs. We are in a transitionary period where DVD burners will be capable of burning on two layers of the disc per side. This increases the capacity to 8.4 GB per side, roughly. My question to you is, do you need this additional capacity or not?

For single layer media, RiTEK (aka RiDATA) or Taiyo Yuden are very good media to use.

I would recommend the NEC 2500A. Not only is its recording quality very good, there is a lot of firmware development going on for this drive. One firmware allows dual-layer +R recording on this drive while another allows 6x and 8x recording on conventional 4x media.
Optodisc media is generally good for its price.

The extra space would be great. Backing up alot of stuff on my hdd. I've only got a 40gig :(

The other is, what about DVD moves? Which is the best supported media? Will dual layer work on a dvd player?

I'm looking for the best quality for the lowest price. I was looking into the Benq 8x burner but I heard they are crap. I've also noticed there are different brands of media and review sites are reviewing burners by the media type. Is there one great media that is worth the money?

Karandras69 said:
The other is, what about DVD moves? Which is the best supported media? Will dual layer work on a dvd player?

I'm looking for the best quality for the lowest price. I was looking into the Benq 8x burner but I heard they are crap. I've also noticed there are different brands of media and review sites are reviewing burners by the media type. Is there one great media that is worth the money?
DVD movies work fine on + or - R media. Compatibility of +/- R media is about the same for most DVD player models--around 80-90% of available models. With +/- R media, you may have to compress some movies in order to fit all of the content on one disc.

Dual or double layer media alleviates this issue; this is because many DVD content is recorded onto this type of media. It's expected that dual layer recorded discs will play fine on the vast majority of DVD players. The only problem is that dual layer recordable media isn't available yet, and won't be for a few more months. There are a handful of DVD recorders that support this type of recording, but I suggest waiting for an adequate supply of media first.

I bought a 100-pack of RiDATA DVD-R media, and it has worked flawlessly. On SlickDeals (.com), you should be able to find a link to a 100-pack for $62 or so, a pretty good deal at that. RiTEK/RiDATA has established a good reputation among CD copiers; this reputation has been extended to the recordable DVD market, according to not only my experiences but the experiences of many others I know on- and off-line.

Go with the NEC 2500 or 2510 for dual layer out of the box. The 2500 is about $75, and the 2510 about $95. Excellent drives with good media compatibility.

For backing up DVD movies, the -R format has a little better compatibility among DVD players. +R works with most, but has about a 5% lower chance of playing on any given DVD player. I use -R for movies, and +R for data backups as +R supports a few more options that are good for archiving.

I've been putting nec 2100's and 2500's in pc's for friends lately and they all have been great (with reflashed firmware that is)... but the 2510 will be it from now on.

me <3 my NEC 1300a

gets the job done, and it has worked with all the media i have tried including the $20 for a 50 pack of 2x DVD-Rs that compusa had when burning at 4x :)

Wicked. It seems that the NEC drives are the way to go. I'll look into that here and see. RiTEK/RiDATA, I'll look around for those as well. Everything I get is in CDN $ so prices for me are going to be a little higher. Oh well, still need me a burner ;-)

Lite-On 812S, Pioneer 107D, Plextor 712SA and NEC2500A.. all nice drives. You might also want to consider the upcoming LG 4120B for 5X DVD-RAM, 12X DVD+R and 2.4X DVD+R DL speeds.

Hey all, need another optinion. I found futureshop has e works dvd-r/dvd+r on sale. $80 for 100 spindle. Was thinking of getting that along with the NEC ND-2500a burner... Good or bad choices?

Back