Best dumbphone for tethering?

Lazarey

Gawd
I currently use a dumbphone from AT&T to tether with on the unlimited plan, without paying for the tethering plan. I am going to be getting a free phone when I add another line and I would like to get a newer, hopefully faster phone to tether with. Any suggestions? Has to be able to be set up to tether without going through AT&T.

Thanks.

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Hmm... I suggest you to go in a local cellular phone shop - you know, those with a whole bunch of Indians... (Not trying to go racial)

And ask them. They may ask you $$ but think of it as a one time fee. Most likely, you won't have the required cable to do this on your own anyway. Just saying.

Lazarey

Gawd
I already do this guys, it's pretty easy. Just wondering about switching to doing it with a different phone.

nerdydesi

[H]ard|Gawd
Hmm... I suggest you to go in a local cellular phone shop - you know, those with a whole bunch of Indians... (Not trying to go racial)

Its probably true. We Indians always like to stick it to the man. I remember going to an Indian travel agent in the area to reserve tickets to India. The guy had tons of CD's of pirated software in his office. :D

T4rd

Fully [H]
You can tether on a dumbphone?

Are you spamming to 50 posts? It almost seems like it from your post history with how they are all one short sentence/question.

Anyways, yes. It wasn't that hard to configure my old LG Voyager to tether through DUN. The only thing was it used my mins, but after 9 PM and on weekends, I had unlimited mins, hah. Not sure if OP is doing the same thing or not though. I would assume so because dumbphone data plans usually have really low caps. I think mine was labeled as "unlimited", but it was actually 100 MBs or something, which isn't too back for a dumb/feature phone.

ChwyNiblet

Limp Gawd
Are you spamming to 50 posts? It almost seems like it from your post history with how they are all one short sentence/question.

Anyways, yes. It wasn't that hard to configure my old LG Voyager to tether through DUN. The only thing was it used my mins, but after 9 PM and on weekends, I had unlimited mins, hah. Not sure if OP is doing the same thing or not though. I would assume so because dumbphone data plans usually have really low caps. I think mine was labeled as "unlimited", but it was actually 100 MBs or something, which isn't too back for a dumb/feature phone.

What do I need to get to 50 posts for? I just didn't know you could tether to that.

T4rd

Fully [H]
What do I need to get to 50 posts for? I just didn't know you could tether to that.

Sorry, it's pretty common to see people spam to 50 posts because it's the minimum you need to post in the FS/FT forum.

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
Sorry, it's pretty common to see people spam to 50 posts because it's the minimum you need to post in the FS/FT forum.

10 month newbies aren't usually the ones spamming to 50 :p

And I didn't know either.

Ashton

2[H]4U
I dont know about AT&T but I know on Sprint you look for a phone that lets you dissable the "Modem NAI" (Network Access Identifier?) and then your home free. On VZW I had to change the dialup number using seem/hex editing. Never tried it on AT&T because their costs were always too high... I'd suggest asking over on HoFo they're the cellphone experts.

Electrofreak

[H]ard|Gawd
Can't say anything about AT&T, but my original Verizon Voyager (VX10000 I think it was) could be hacked to USB tether simply by changing a web address in the phone config.

Back before my daughter was born, my girl and I played WoW for about 2 weeks over Verizon 3G using our Voyagers while we waited for a cable hookup at the apartment. Worked surprisingly well and Verizon never seemed to be the wiser.

T4rd

Fully [H]
Can't say anything about AT&T, but my original Verizon Voyager (VX10000 I think it was) could be hacked to USB tether simply by changing a web address in the phone config.

Back before my daughter was born, my girl and I played WoW for about 2 weeks over Verizon 3G using our Voyagers while we waited for a cable hookup at the apartment. Worked surprisingly well and Verizon never seemed to be the wiser.

Funny, did you see my first post above? I did the same thing with the same phone. I tried playing L4D over it, haha. Wasn't that great though, had like a 200-300ms ping.

harjon

Weaksauce
I currently use a dumbphone from AT&T to tether with on the unlimited plan, without paying for the tethering plan. I am going to be getting a free phone when I add another line and I would like to get a newer, hopefully faster phone to tether with. Any suggestions? Has to be able to be set up to tether without going through AT&T.

Thanks.

I tether with AT&T on my smartphone all the time on their pre-paid service. All you have to do is buy a phone outright from somewhere else that doesn't use their bloatware. Any of the phones from Telus, Bell or Rogers in Canada will do. Then get it unlocked for $15. True it's more expensive upfront, but way cheaper in the long haul.