Best drive backup software?

Garage81

Mac Daddy
I got an external drive, and I'm ready to start backing up my ibook, what do you all recommend and use?

ive decided to use carbon copy cloner, but id still like some input from the rest of the usuals :)

Yeah I really like Carbon copy cloner. I've only had minor issues in the past with permissions when you're using multiple users, other than that it's good.

i noticed that if i back up my users directory, that it keeps all the user permissions set.

so if im not logged in as myself, I cant get to all my files :)

still undecided on that, i like the added security, and the fact that my external drive is now bootable, but it would also be nice to get to my itunes mp3 collection from other computers.

I use CCC, but I also use Dantz Retrospect. DOes automatic backups of everything I have.

i was just recently told that you can also use isync. i'm trying to see about looking into this because i just ordered my rev d 12" and i have an external 300gig. my ideal situation would be to have a 80gig partition that is an exact clone of the PB's 80gig, and also have the remaining 220gigs as spare storage. would CCC update all the files on my external the second it became an active drive on my powerbook, ie. when i plug in my external, will it automatically modify/change/create/remove files to match the powerbooks drive?

sorry archer but copy paste won't work if you want to back up your drive...if you just want bits and pieces yeah it will work but not if you want a full backup of the drive...and iSync will NOT work as it will only do bookmarks/contacts and stuff for ical but that is about it

thanks gigglebyte for that clarification. so i guess CCC is the way to go then, thanks.

gigglebyte said:
sorry archer but copy paste won't work if you want to back up your drive...if you just want bits and pieces yeah it will work but not if you want a full backup of the drive...and iSync will NOT work as it will only do bookmarks/contacts and stuff for ical but that is about it

Did'nt realize he wanted to back up and entire drive. In that case would'nt you want to make an image of it?

I like Retrospect for automated backups personally, CCC is more of a service tool for me when I need to clone data from one machine to a replacement. I let retrospect run everynight to back up my PowerBook, too easy to get it dropped or stolen if you ask me, and my data is much more important than the computer itself.

Back