• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best display cable type for distance?

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
439
What is the best type of display output/display cable to use when pushing a video signal greater distances from a video card? Is one type better than another?

This is for video games and general desktop use (not home theater).

The monitor will be 20-40 feet away.

Thanks!
 
DVI
Using copper cable it would appear that the limits are approximately 1600x1200@60Hz to one meter and 1024x768@60Hz to 9 meters with appropriate signal strength from the graphics adapter

HDMI
HDMI cables have no official limit, but the HDMI Association has tested cables as long as 33 feet with little or no signal loss.

Display Port
Specs include a maximum resolution of 1080p at 24bpp and the ability for full transmission of its signals even over a cable length of 3 meters (about 10 feet). However, there is signal degradation after a length of about 10 feet.
 
HDMI has no max length limits, however, that depends on quality of the cable
DVI nominal length limit is apprently 15ft or so, beyond this they need repeaters/extenders to keep the recieved quality acceptable
Display port is 3 meters for copper based and 15+ meters possible for optical based
READ HERE FOR ABOVE
http://www.scala.com/support/enterp...q-hardware-stability-guide/dvi-vga-cable.html a little more on the dvi length above and suggestions.

So, seems without getting fancy, HDMI and good quality cable, or an Optical based Displayport cable which are very $$$. Then there is route of DVI with various options of extenders/repeaters and the like.
 
So what if you want to do a 30 foot HDMI run and then go to DVI/DP/VGA since that is all your Dell monitor supports?

I want to put my tower in my server closet and run USB, audio and video cables into the next room (my office).
 
well, I know my monitor hates HDMI for pc use, works fine with my PS3, I had to get a converter for my other monitor dvi-hdmi and it works fine, though the color and such is a bit mehhh(secondary monitor anyways)

I think DP to HDMI or from the monitor DVI straight converted to HDMI(for graphics card connection i.e put converter on monitor instead of graphics card) I guess those are the options.
monitor has named cable, at the system it gets converted OR
system has specific cable at the monitor it gets converted

Not sure what is better, I do know DP adapters and cables are quite pricey though, and alot of monitors that support HDMI they do not make it look properly and alot of graphics card and such cannot really get the image to look the way it should, its out of scale, looks washed out, far to dark, alot of things, I do not know what I just know ALOT of monitors have the issue with HDMI.

I would go DVI to the monitor, get a repeater/extender to boost the DVI capable range, this way here it shouldn`t cost an arm and leg, and should retain the quality as well. dual link though mind you.
 
Anyone comment on a 50foot DVI cable?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10209&cs_id=1020901&p_id=2185&seq=1&format=2

Would this be crappy for gaming?

Monoprice doesn't sell cables that don't work. When I'm wondering about the maximum usable length of a particular kind of cable, I look at what they're selling and what they don't. Notice that when Monoprice DVI cables get longer than 15 feet, they change from 28AWG to 24AWG. You can probably find cheap 50 foot 28AWG DVI cables on fleabay and the like, but they are much less likely to work.
 
That's what I was thinking. I love Monoprice. I just dont want to buy a cable that will work but give me ghosting, or tearing or not be 1080p you know?
 
Back
Top