Best digital camera for $250 or less?

Dk975

Gawd
I am looking for a new digital camera. Here is what I am looking for in specs, and then a possible list of cameras. Then if you want to recommend something else, that's ok.

Looking for

10-12MP
3-5X optical zoom
2.7"+ LCD screen
good image quality and not too noisy up to ISO200.
good indoor image quality
Fairly quick shot to shot time.

Nikon S560
Canon SD1200IS
Canon SD780IS
Canon SD880IS
Fuji F100fd
Panasonic FX35
Panasonic FX500

depends on the purpose you use it. usually professional photograpyers like Nikon and Canon are used more for entertainment.

My vote goes for the Canon A2100 IS. SD stuff is good if you need something that small but won't be as good as the larger models, especially in lower light settings. But, if you can find a used A650 IS it's a totally different class. Canon has changed their A series.. for the worst. The A650 IS is actually the exact same sensor and glass as the G9.

F100fd might actually be the best in low light.. not sure about that particular one but there were a couple prior fuji models which still beat out everything in their class by today's standards.

I picked up the SD780 IS recently and love the size. However, the picture quality suffers from a lot of noise. I knew this going into it and was more interested in the small size and decent 720p video. Why canon insists on the megapixel race, I don't know. If picture quality (especially in dark situations) is your thing then I would suggest focusing on 10 or less megapixels. Also, search out reviews. There are several sites with great reviews out there.

Highly recommend the Canon options. Image stabilizer is fantastic. Have a few point and shoot Canons and multiple professional grade Canons (1d currently in use) and have been very impressed with all of them.

I'm in the same boat as the OP: looking for a new camera. My question is, if newegg and/or tigerdirect are to computer parts, ________ is to digital cameras?

I don't think of a particular retailer. I just look for a reputable one and the best price. I bought my SD780 IS from buydig.com when they dropped it to $225 and then used cashback through fatwallet or Live/Bing to drop it to about $215.

Just make sure it's a reputable seller. Some of the online camera stores have a shaky reputation. Resellerratings.com is my go to site when I have a question about the store.

B&H Photo is a well known camera store. They're an actual store in NY. B&H usually has competitive pricing with great customer service. If you call, someone from the actual store can help answer questions and give advice.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Back