Best diamondback settings for FPS?

rondocap

Limp Gawd
I have my windows mouse speed at 9 out of 11, and for FPS games like BF2 and CS, Quake 3, etc, I have my Razer DB at sensitivity 3 in the drivers.

My question is: Should I keep the Razer driver sensitivty at 10, and lower the windows one to 5 or 4 out of 11, or is it fine the way I have it? (I don't want to lose DPI or anything like that by messing with the Razer drivers..or will the mouse always be 1600DPI even if I lower the driver settings?)

I dunno man...you just gotta fuck around with stuff and see what you like. Everybodys gonna have theirs set up differently. But for reference here is how i have mine setup more or less.

windows sensitivity: around 4 or 5
no pointer acceleration
x,y sensitivity disabled
1600 dpi always on
master sensitivity around 8.5 in windows and then i put it to 10 when in games
in CS i have the mouse sensitivity around 4 or so

but like i said you just gotta mess with settings and find what you like

edit: oh yeah and i have enhance pointer precision ON in the windows mouse settings

Set your Windows sens to max. Leave the ingame accel at default.

The only thing you should toy around with is the setting in the Razer CP.

Of course, turn off accelleration, smoothing and all that crap.

My windows setting is 5-6, razer setting at 4.5, and my CS sensitivity is at 1.7.

Windows at 6
Drivers at 7-10(2-3 when sniping in BF2)
CS settings: 4-6

All acceleration off(CPL registry tweak).

Maybe im insane, but i max out both the razer settings (10) and the windows settings. I move the mouse a centimeter in any direction at most, it took a week or so to get used to, but its so accurate.

my only problem with that is whenever i click on anything in windows, the mouse moves because its so sensitive and i wind up having to click stuff a couple of times. windows thinks im dragging the cursor. otherwise i wouldnt mind having the mouse more sensitive.

Cousin Patty said:
my only problem with that is whenever i click on anything in windows, the mouse moves because its so sensitive and i wind up having to click stuff a couple of times. windows thinks im dragging the cursor. otherwise i wouldnt mind having the mouse more sensitive.
i have the same problem. This is the only mouse that i do this with :confused:

Cousin Patty said:
That's why you bind a sensitivity change to a button that you don't use, like one of the right side buttons.

Don't put everything so high, at 10. It is too fast. I had it pretty high too, and of course you do get used to it, but even then, having it lower is better for accuracy.

I posted this in another thread, but here is is again... Please read this carefully if you want the best accuracy for your diamondback.. feel free to ask my any questions about this..

All the tweaks have already been listed in this thread.. no need to go through razer.tigga.org..I'll put them all together for you all.. I'll break this post into the tweaks/links, and then my opinion of the razer..

Mouserate checker to verify the polling rate on your mouse..

Modified USB drivers for WinXP SP2 ONLY!! I've only used the 1khz patch in this. Do a save as on usbport-patched.rar

Links for the the 500/250/125 Hz patches for all versions of XP

Atalan's Pixel Skipping Fix (to be used also in Razer's next driver)

WinXP Mouse Acceleration Fixes

To get the most out of your Razer there are a few things you need to know first. First and foremost, Win2k is the best platform for gaming, due it's ability to have complete zero mouse acceleration, and the ability to have a 1ms USB polling rate stock. However, I prefer WinXP, so with a few tweaks you can come EXTREMELY close to the gaming that is achieved in Win2k..

Upon hooking up your razer, you must decide if you want to use razer's drivers or not. The Diamondback will work at full 1600 DPI without the drivers, and the side buttons will work to an extent. Depending on the game, it can pick them up as Mouse 4/5/6/7. But in some games ,like return to castlewolfenstein, it will see them as mousewheel up/down.So if you will be using the side buttons, install Razer's driver.

Go into Control Panel/ Mouse. By default the mouse sensitivity will be on the 6th tick or 5 moves from the left. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR MOUSE SET TO THIS LEVEL IF YOU WANT 1600 DPI!!!! If you set it to more, Windows starts to add software compensation to the sensitivity, and precision goes to shit.. If you set it less, then your DPI goes down... UNCHECK ENHANCE POINTER PRECISION!!!!! This enables mouse acceleration, and will mess up your precision.

Razer's Drivers.. Razer's drivers by default will enable a low mouse acceleration if the sensitivity is set to anything but 10. This is regardless of the master acceleration control in the drivers. Razer will be correcting this in a future driver, but until then set it to 10. The on the fly sensitivity option kinda becomes pointless at this point, since lowering the sensitivity will enable mouse acceleration.

WinXP has a built in acceleration for mice. It cannot be turned off. the above reg patches will try and get rid of the mouse acceleration as much as possible. I use the first patch which is the same as the CPL mouse fix patch. The 2nd seems to be a good one too according to the forums. Some like it better.. I'll have to try it.. You will want to use one of these patchs to ensure mouse precision.

USB Polling. USB polling is set to 125hz in WinXP, which equates to 8ms. Unlike Win2k where it will work at 1khz or 1ms, XP is hard locked. This greatly reduces the amount of info Windows receives from the mouse. While razer has implemented a 16bit data path for the mouse, there is a HUGE difference in using one of the modified USB drivers to get around this limitation. The link that goes into razer.tigga.org's forums, has a link for the 500Hz patches.. These are the best bet.It will work at a constant 500Hz. Do not use the 1Khz patches! The diamond does not work at a constast 1khz!!! it goes all over the place, and greatly reduces the smoothness of the mouse. It's much better to get a constant . 500Hz, vs. it jumping around sometimes down to 300.. Check to make sure the USB Polling fix works with the mouserate program above. Mouse movement takes on an effect of being smoother when using this fix.

Atalan's Pixel skipping patch. This patch is a work around of the pixel skipping issue with the Agilent sensor used in the diamondback. short of explaining what the issue is, read this. This patch corrects the issue in software the best it can be. Only a hardware revision can resolve this completely, and Agilent is working on this. Either a new mouse will be made or a diamondback rev 2 will come out. It is unknown if Logitech is using the original 1600 DPI sensor, or the revised one. Probably the original though, since it should be out soon, and IIRC Agilent is still working on the problem.

For both the USB driver fix, and Atalan's patch you MUST go into safe mode, and replace the drivers in windows\system32\dllcache and windows\system32\drivers. This bypasses Windows File Protection.

Ok, from here on if you need to adjust any mouse sensitivity do it IN GAME. You are stuck with what you get on the desktop. With these tweaks you will have the most precise, accurate, fastest mouse currently available.

I personally came from a MX500 to my diamondback, and I've only had it for about a week. There is a STEEP learning curve, so do not get discouraged. It will take some time to adjust. But you will adjust, and it is extremely worth it. I'm at the point where I'm getting the hang of it, and have pulled off some impressive shots that I previously wasn't able to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not able to do it 100%, but with practice i'll be more consistent. I personally like the feeling of the mouse, I don't find it uncomfortable at all, and like the big mouse buttons. The LEFT side buttons are great, I have no problems using them in game. The RIGHT ones are worthless to me, since I can't get them with my pinky very well. (I'm a right handed gamer, btw). I love the feel of the mouse wheel too.. My only bitch is I have a squeaky mouse button. It is getting better after usage, but kinda annoying that it's there.. The forums range in anwhere from a week to 3 weeks of heavy usage before it's gone. I don't recall anyone saying it didn't go away. You can alternatively take it apart and file down the offensive part, but it'll void your warranty.. there's directions on razer.tigga.org's site in the forum..

I also switched up my orginal ratpad for an icemat rev 2, which is simply a fucking awesome pad with my diamondback. VERY smooth, and tracks perfectly.. My ratpad had tracking problems with the mx500, and it was too slick, which made it harder to stop on a dime.

Hopefully this sums up everything you need to know about the diamondback. I am very happy with it so far, even though my game is kinda suffereing with the learning curve. In SOF2, I am typically 1st place with my previous combo. With the diamondback, I fell to 3-4, with some 1st place wins.. It really is a steep learning curve. But now, I'm more in the 1st-2nd place range again after a week, and with more practice, I'll be past where I was in gaming.. I'm still getting used to it, especially since I started getting used to the diamondback with no tweaks, and then doing them all in the last few days.. So, DO THEM RIGHT AWAY TO AVOID A LONGER LEARNING CURVE!!!

Great post man, I just got my diamondback a few days ago and already got used to it. I guess I'll do this before I get too comfortable. Thanks for the tweaks!

Question: I just dled the diamondback drivers on tuesday, should these drivers already have the atalan patch? I can't seem to navagate the link for that because I don't undestand what the webpage says.

Guys listen now. This is important.

You should ALWAYS have it to 10 in the Razer software. If you don´t install the razer software it will be at ten default.

Windows slider you should have on the middle tick. Otherwise you will get mouse acceleration. So if you don´t want any acceleration leave it at the middle tick.

This will make it very fast but you adjust the sensitivity in game. Then you get full use of 1600 dpi at any sense.

So leave the settings in the razer software if it´s installed and in the windows alone. Disable mouse smoothing of course. And adjust the sensitivity in game.

If you run lower then 10 in the razer software you don´t get 1600 dpi resolution

Great post Barnaby.

I'm a CS CZ player. Anyone who plays CS online knows that You can setup everything perfect but conditions on different servers or maps or what ever can afect Your setup so that You suddenly start missing shots You never miss.
There are some stuff You have no influence on like a server Registration but some things You can fine tune.
I can't take no lag or bad setup o what ever so I tune up stuff as soon as I see change. Like if connection is getting worse or better I change rate settings and I follow netgraph all the time to. If I feel to slow on some levels with some weapons I will go in options and try other mouse sensitivity.

I was using a Intelli Explorer 3.0 for a long time.
I rush a lot but I use all weapons pretty good.
I have ahd many times on all of my MS Explorers I have ahd problems with cord braking and USB tripping and paint peal and what not. In my last setup I have had two Intelli Explorers 3.0 and on one I have had allready resoldered cord and other was tripping. My game play started to suffer on precision and speed.
Then somone sad like it's not precise enough anyways. Well when they where working O.K. it wasn't that bad at all but people linked me with a review about Diamondback and I was ready to give it a try.
Also I was using sensitivity in CS between 9 and 10,5 and still in some rush situations some people where turning two times faster!!?? That was it I've needed faster mouse.

I've knew Razer mouses from Boomslag models but I couldn't realy get used to it's shape/size allthough I have biger hands. So I knew they make quality stuff.

Got Red transparent Diamondback as it was only one on stock. First feeling was like WTF? It was shooting all over a place, form was uncomfortable (for my hands although all reviews sad super comfortable) motion of a pointer was jerky and uncontrollable. Well I play every day to keep up a ranking and to talk with a friends on server where I usualy play. Mouse it self was gliding efortless. I couldn't kill a hostage even :)
No seting in CS was good. In two days of searching for good setup I fall like 20 places in a rank. My hand hurted and I was exremly pissed off. Mixed emotions.Though I was recognizing great potential if I would only be able to find good settings.
So I've sarted deinstallign all drivers installign new. Using acellerations not using it and try agiain. Well trial and eeror method.
Well I was on edge of burning it up. Then I found one settigns I could learn to live with. So movement became smooth and pretty precise but My hand was still huting. At that moment I have almost builded it's electronics into a Intelli Explorer 3.0.
But then It just stop hurting and now when I lay my hand on Diamond back or on Intelli Eplorer 3.0 I feel comfortable with both mouses. Trick is in where You lean Your palm on it. Well You doo not. Not as You can on Eplorer anyways.

My efficiency went back up and amount of kills went to 90 to 95 % of what it was.

Now My accuracy still suffer (went down for 3%) but efficiency is just same as it was.

Well for anyone going from MS mouse to Razer You have to be shur to gett rid of all MS drivers. Even when You deinstall kill all traces of MS mouse drivers and if You ahve had installed RAzer drivers before You got rid of a MS drivers deinstall everything and then install new drivers. Be shure all Windows acceleration and smotting is off.

Like with acceleration on I'venneded sensitivity for IE 3.0 of 9,5 in CS. With no acceleration but with diamondback allready sensitivity in CS set to a 3 is fast enough.
Complitly different world. Great tracking, smooth action.
It's much better then anything else I've tryed.
I love it. I like that it keeps light non stop to.
I'm gled I haven't BBQ-ed it :)

Then MX518 came everywhere and I was bit feeling bad about it's nice comfortable form. :(
I might gett one of those to :)

Still I feel I need to tweak it more. I feel there is a more I could digg out that mouse.

It's a great mouse You need to be patient with. It's not plug and play thing. It draws ton's of power on USB and might turn off other device hanging on same USB power line.
It can also sometimes not start on a cold start as it will need hot restart and Razer say it's normal.
You need to learn how to use it anf finding a sweat spot is a biatch. It is only for users that like to mess arround with settigns and tweaks and once found a balance it's a ultimate weapon. Somethign like some 1991 pistols. Like You gett one and it shoots bad. It jams and makes all kind of a mess. Then You take it to a gunsmith and He fine tunes it and change some stuff and affter it You have a competition grade Pistol. That'a feeling I've got from it.

So if You want just plug and play and simple no learning curve mouse and You are right handed go with a MX510.

If You are FPS shoter and tweaker You will need Diamondback or MX518. If You doo not have it You doo not know what are You missing. Also for people that doo not like to fine tune it, once sett it stays good. So gett it doo what Barnaby sad and off You goo.

Use driver cleaner too remove old drivers from old mouse.

MD

Johnie said:
Great post man, I just got my diamondback a few days ago and already got used to it. I guess I'll do this before I get too comfortable. Thanks for the tweaks!

Question: I just dled the diamondback drivers on tuesday, should these drivers already have the atalan patch? I can't seem to navagate the link for that because I don't undestand what the webpage says.

when I made that post, Atalan's patch was not integrated in the drivers. It should be now with the current ones.. Easiest way to check is at the desktop, just move the mouse left until the cursor starts to move left. Then, VERY slowly, move it to the right. You'll notice that it'll skip a pixel when it does finally move to the right.. With the patch installed, the effect will be you'll have to move the mouse 2 pixels in the opposite direction, before it'll move one.. once it starts moving, it's normal again..

Believe me, the patch is FAR better than the normal behavior, since you aren't skipping any pixels.. that's the difference from a headshot at long range to missing.. ;)

The diamondback plasma, and of course the copperhead addressed this issue and a few others.. so, no fear there.. this definately isn't a show stopper for this mouse.. I'll probably get the copperhead once it comes out though, as there are some new features I'm interested in..

guess that link for atalan's patch died..

here's a new one if you don't want to use razer's driver or if for some reason the new driver doesn't have it..

http://home.arcor.de/_aero/DBPKFix.zip

Since reading your post last night, I've changed a few things up. I do notice that my recoil in CS has decreased a little. I think once I get used to this new feel that it'll make me a better player. Right now here is how everything looks...

Razer drivers 5.09, sensitivity 5.5
Mouse rate fix 500Hz
Anir's mouse acceleration fix
Windows sensitivity stock (5-6)

Is this good? Do I really need to set the Razer's sensitivity to 10 to get 1600dpi? Because 10 is just going to be way too fast in Windows for me.

Johnie said:
Since reading your post last night, I've changed a few things up. I do notice that my recoil in CS has decreased a little. I think once I get used to this new feel that it'll make me a better player. Right now here is how everything looks...

Razer drivers 5.09, sensitivity 5.5
Mouse rate fix 500Hz
Anir's mouse acceleration fix
Windows sensitivity stock (5-6)

Is this good? Do I really need to set the Razer's sensitivity to 10 to get 1600dpi? Because 10 is just going to be way too fast in Windows for me.

Well, you are lowering the DPI, but also you are introducing acceleration.. If the razer driver is set at anything other than 10, if will give you mouse acceleration..

Best thing for you to do, is probably just have the on-the-fly sensitivity set up, so when you go in game, you crank it up to 10, then just change the game's sensitivity to where you like it, and when you go back to windows, change the razer driver back down to something else..

For me, I really want a higher DPI mouse, since I have dual monitors and could really appreciate being able to go from one monitor to the other in a smaller movement..
and my friends hate using my mouse already.. LOL :D

Back