Best Defragmentation Program for Vista?

9mmx19

[H]ard|Gawd
Title says it all. Ive come across Diskeeper, PerfectDisk, Auslogics Disk Defrag, and something called Contig. Any pro suggestions?

The Vista defrag system works just fine, but you won't get the satisfaction of having it run on demand. It runs when needed and in the background and you usually won't even know it. To computer hobbyists this is pure hell and they have to have a good on demand defragger so they can make sure it has been done. That being said, I use PerfectDisk Suite. :D

I could be completely wrong, but if I recall correctly vista defrags the way it does because it combines what it learns with superfetch and stuff pulling it closer to the center of the drive. Don't remember where I heard it but most people had said way back using an alternative defragger would slow down your performance.:confused:

Tried Auslogics and its really light weight and compact which I like. However it said it skipped some files because it couldnt find the free space when I obviously have it.

2 votes for O&O huh - checking that out.

EDIT: I get some werid error with OO. Like it cant connect to a service or something. Oh well. :(

I used to use Diskeeper, but recently made the switch to PerfectDisk, and haven't looked back. I have no experience with Diskeeper 10 or 11. O&O corrupted a few drives for me on different occasions a few revisions ago, so I won't give them a shot again, as long as better products exist.

Tried Auslogics and its really light weight and compact which I like. However it said it skipped some files because it couldnt find the free space when I obviously have it.

2 votes for O&O huh - checking that out.

EDIT: I get some werid error with OO. Like it cant connect to a service or something. Oh well. :(

press ctrl+alt+del and check to see that oodag.exe is running in processes.

press ctrl+alt+del and check to see that oodag.exe is running in processes.

I didnt look for that specific process but I started the service manually and it still didnt work. Meh, already uninstalled.

Just becareful with the settings in these programs...I remember easily making your computer slower by doing some of the optimization defrags :eek:

Personally I like the built in defrag, works great and it runs on its own every few days. Plus it seems to work great as my drives are all very speedy still with no decay in speed over the last few months.

another vote for letting vista do it's own defrag. i tried different O&O defrags such as last access etc and it made no noticable improvement.

the only downside with vista doing its own thing in the background is when my harddrives starts hammering away and im not directly responsible, it tends to freak me out. there is of course still defrag.exe

If you don't care about flashy screens, useless graphs, and high price tags just use Windows Vista's defrag.

IMHO, these commercial packages are circus acts. Pretty to watch. Visually impressive.

And in the background they are just defragging :)

Back