Best Defrag/ Disk managment tools?

rally9x

[H]ard|Gawd
Windows defrag takes forever and is having problems defraging my drives.

Is there better software out there (I'm sure there is) and what is it?

THank you guys

I've used DK also, but I'm not sure that the end result is that much improved vs the integrated Windows defragger (which is the DK engine just licensed by M$). The retail versions of DK offer some more options like scheduling and pagefile defragging, but I'm not sure those make a real difference under normal use. Plus, DK runs as a service in the background, something I don't need 99.9% of the time.

I think the bigger factors in defragging performance is free space available to work with and partition size. Of course defragging a whole 100+G partition that is pretty full will take some time... Dividing that space up into more managable chunks can help, especially if you segment the more frequently abused areas like download and temp folders from the more static areas like OS and apps.

Interestingly enough, I recently read an article claiming that NTFS doesn't suffer nearly as much performance loss on a fragmented disk as you would expect... The authors were hardpressed to measure any difference between the rather heavily fragmented disk and the freshly defragged disk. If I can locate that article again I'll post it, it's some interesting reading.

there was a recent post about defragging applications. i made a statement that the windows 2000/xp defragger is perfect. most would rather use o&o. they typically metioned using the complete defragging feature. i find this to be counterproductive really. the time that it takes to defrag a drive, as an end user, using the application's method, for the minor gain does not equal the cost of it. i still have not found a reason against the intergral defrag and boot vis. they keep my system running smooth and can be scheduled just as easy.

dont get me wrong though, back in the dos, early windows and win9x days. i would name a couple to use.

i like diskeeper, mainly for the scheduling options, etc. i keep my my 120 gig in 3 partitions just for easier defragging/organizing and i schedule it to defrag all drives at around 5am 2 times a week. keeps my drives running nicely and has a lot of useful features [most of which i don't use].

I use Norton Speed Disk .. work great .. and get's the drive alot cleaner than the Win XP one does

O&O Defrag, DiskKeeper and Norton SpeedDisk are all good utilities... However, you've to keep in mind that the Windows (2k and XP) 'built in' defrag is simply a cut down version of DiskKeeper!

Diskkeeper worked for me after multiple runs....thanks guys. Doing the defrag at boot worked wonders too...my page file was all over the place

Originally posted by rally9x
Diskkeeper worked for me after multiple runs....thanks guys. Doing the defrag at boot worked wonders too...my page file was all over the place
You can avoid pagefile fragmentation by setting it to a static size.

cool thanks for the tip...made me remember I had to set it to a certian size to get an old program to run...that may have been part of my performance problems...

If you just need to defrag your page file, Sysinternals has a program called PageDefrag which will defrag your page file, and it is free.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I got it all under control now. Haven't any time to test if it helped game performance yet though.

o&o all the way..

I used to have diskeeper, but I just don't think that it's 3 minute defrag's were all that trustworthy..

and I very much am against the built in defrag, as it doesn't defrag alot of the system files, like the MFT... luckily O&O does all this for me at boot up.. course, I have it set to run at 4am when I'm not on the pc during the week, so I never even bother about it any more..

Back