Best current thermal compound (Is it even relevant?)

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive been a bit out of the "extreme" OC scene for a while, giving up my geek side for... well real life and working I guess.

I have a Pentium g3258 setup (the cheapo unlocked dual core haswell 20th anniversary chip) on a cheap MB that I picked up a while ago. (no, certainly not any of my main rigs) here is the original post with the deal for this setup.

I posted that the best I could get on this chip was 4.4, but that was stretching it for true stress tests. After say 12+ hrs, it cant do this speed. I tried 4.3, and after 1.5 days the system would reboot. 99.9% stable but that doesnt count. 4.1 seems to be 100%.

Anyway, I tried replacing the stock thermal compound with what I had on hand, which was arctic silver 3. I tried both a tiny application and a generous one. Both resulted in basically the same results, only about 1 degree (c) better in temps, which no increase to stability.

My question is:

What is the current best thermal compound, and does it actually make any kind of significant difference?

Ive gone through my fair share of TIMs. I probably have 30 different products. My best result without regard to installation difficulty is Coolabs Liquid Ultra, followed by Gelid GC Extreme.

Back