Best CPU for an IWILL KK266Plus

jbmx4life

2[H]4U
My dad's g/f's kids computer crashed. Supposedly the heatsink fell off the CPU all together but I dunno bout that. My dad put it back together and it still wouldn't boot, so he brought it to me. I decided to dismantle the entire thing and blow it out to clean it up. While I was cleaning the CPU, the little resistors or whatever -they-are that go along the edge of the core started coming off. The CPU in question here in an Athlon 1Ghz. A couple of the came completely off while others broke. I did NOT apply excessive force to any part of them while I was cleaning the CPU and I have never had this happen before. So now I am in search of the best CPU that I can get for this motherboard. I have read somethings that say Athlon and others that say Athlon XP. Not quite sure if there is a major difference between the 2 and that is why I am asking here. Only thing definitive that I found out was that the mobo could take a 200/266 fsb chip. Please let me know if some can give me some more insight on this issue.

TIA,
J

'Athlon' originally referred to the original Socket-A CPU (Thunderbird, Palomino, Morgan, Spitfire) as well as the short-lived Slot-A AMD processors. The Athlon XP were based on newer cores (TBred, Barton, etc) and can be differentiated by the fact that they use an OPGA (green or brown PCB) substrate instead of ceramic that was used on the older Athlons. The AthlonXP came in faster speeds with more cache versus the older and slower original Athlon.

The KK266 was one of my absolute favorite socket-A boards back in the day. It was based on the VIA KT133A chipset and was quite popular with enthusiasts due to it's stability and overclocking performance. I don't believe that it worked with the newer AthlonXP cores, only the original Athlons (Thunderbird, Palomino). I'll double check though and post here...

'Athlon' originally referred to the original Socket-A CPU (Thunderbird, Palomino, Morgan, Spitfire) as well as the short-lived Slot-A AMD processors. The Athlon XP were based on newer cores (TBred, Barton, etc) and can be differentiated by the fact that they use an OPGA (green or brown PCB) substrate instead of ceramic that was used on the older Athlons. The AthlonXP came in faster speeds with more cache versus the older and slower original Athlon.

The KK266 was one of my absolute favorite socket-A boards back in the day. It was based on the VIA KT133A chipset and was quite popular with enthusiasts due to it's stability and overclocking performance. I don't believe that it worked with the newer AthlonXP cores, only the original Athlons (Thunderbird, Palomino). I'll double check though and post here...

Thanks for the response. I was still searching even after I posted this thread and I came up with this:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hw/1702/Iwill_KK266Plus/

How true the spec facts are on there..... I don't know. All I know is that I want to be able to find a CPU that is going to be KNOWN compatible with this motherboard while being faster at the same time.

OK, did some research.

The original KK266 cannot run the Athlon XP without some serious hardware modification, namely upgrading the capacitors on the poiwer regulation circuitry.

The KK266+ CAN run Athlon XP processors, but only the Palomino cores. Thoroughbred core processors will not run stable on the board.

My advice for 100% stability would be to pick up the fastest Thunderbird core CPU you can find. I believe the fastest they came was 1.33ghz, possibly 1.4ghz. Hard to remember that far back because it was like 6 or 7 years ago LOL. Ahh the good old days of being able to unlock the multi on your CPU with a pencil.... I miss those days....

If you are SURE you have the 'Plus' version of the board then look for an Athlon XP but with a PALOMINO core. The newer Tbred or Barton cores WILL NOT WORK... only the Pallys.

Back