Best Corsair RAM to achieve 5.0 GHz overclock?

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
Haven't built a custom PC for about 6-7 years now, recently I've decided to put one together. I've read that memory is not as important as they were back in the day. I recall scrounging all over the internet for BH5 ram modules for use with my AMD 2500+ CPU. :) I'm looking to achieve a 5.0 GHz overclock.

Corsair Graphite Series 650D
Corsair AX 1200W
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core™ i7-2600K Processor, 3.40GHz
ASUS Matrix GTX580 1.5 GB
Corsair H100

I'd like to stick with Corsair if possible, what type of RAM is typically seen on systems that surpass overclocks of 5.0 GHz?
How much more difficult is it to achieve 5.0 GHz with 16 GB of RAM?

I'm considering the following ...

- Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866 (2 x 4GB) (9-10-9-27) (1.5v)
- Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Low Profile (2 x 4GB) (9-9-9-27) (1.5v)

In a newegg video, they were able to hit 5.2 GHz with Dominator GTX RAM, but I'm not sure how big of a role the memory played in that situation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lajZi-JAFXA

Neither, overclocking is multiplier based, you don't need to have crazy ram to overclock anymore.

Anything from ddr3 1333 and on is sufficient.
Second, unless you are using quicksync... there is no point to getting the z68, get the p67 instead and save a few dollars. Apply that money save to the largest sata 6 ssd that you can afford.

I'm not entirely sold on the h100.. i've see alot of conflicting data... which could very well mean sample variance. However... I can be certain that if you want to watercool...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...240_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_-HOT.html

That kit will eat the h100 for breakfast... it won't be pretty.

You can spend more money and get the rx kit, but you would be better served by picking up another 120mm radiator. (mcr120).

Btw, I hit 5.4 on my 2500k for "benching" (I stuck my radiator in a cooler filled with ice), I set my memory at 1333 at first... didn't make a huge different at 1600.

For what you are wanting to do, and especially with 16GB aka 4 modules, a good 1600 kit is likely your best option.

tbh man, i'd go with patriot ram over corsair for big clocks.

Don't get me wrong, corsair is good ram, and i currently have a corsair set + airflow pro laser show (lol), but patriot tends to outperform the corsair. My issue with the corsair dominators tbh is it requires more tweaking (more qpi voltage) than my patriot viper set did to stabilize my overclock. That and XMP worked right out of the box with patriot, and did not work at all with corsair.

If i were you, i'd get corsair if i were aiming for ram fan + airflow pro light show. I'd get patriot for anything else.

But hey, looks count as much as anything when it comes to making a pretty system, so in the end its up to which aspect of the ram takes priority.

Back