Best core i5 cooler?

940guy

Limp Gawd
Hey guys im buying the stuff to build me a core i5 rig, and i was wondering what the best air cooler i can get is?

The best true Air cooler if price doesn't matter, is the Prolimatech Megahelems, paired with really good fans. There is also the Corsair H50 which is about the same cost as a Megahelems+fans, that has in some cases been shown to be superior to air cooling but not up to "true" water cooling. Price performance, I suggest the Scythe Mugen 2, which is nearly as good as the Megahelems or TRUE, at about half the price, and it comes with a fan.

Not sure if you can justify the premium for a small improvement in temperatures but I'd stick with the bang for the buck coolers (Mugen 2, CM 212, Etc)

I'd stick with the bang for the buck coolers (Mugen 2, CM 212, Etc)

i hope you don't mean CM's Hyper N212 :p

i am having really good results with Noctua NH-U12P
- Core i7 920 at 4.0 GHz is staying cool with max temps in the upper 70s under max load using Everest Ultimate stress test.

In contrast, a budget cooler like Cooler Master's Hyper N212 - even with 2 fans in push-pull - could not keep i7's max temps out of the upper 90s (at 3.97 GHz).
:eek:

i hope you don't mean CM's Hyper N212 :p

i am having really good results with Noctua NH-U12P
- Core i7 920 at 4.0 GHz is staying cool with max temps in the upper 70s under max load using Everest Ultimate stress test.

In contrast, a budget cooler like Cooler Master's Hyper N212 - even with 2 fans in push-pull - could not keep i7's max temps out of the upper 90s (at 3.97 GHz).
:eek:
He's referring to the Hyper 212 Plus.

I know people who are running 4GHz overclocks on 920s with that heatsink and very manageable temps (high 70s, low 80s). Budget cooler, yes, but it's perfectly good unless you have high ambient temps or are using a lot of voltage.

I know people who are running 4GHz overclocks on 920s with that heatsink and very manageable temps (high 70s, low 80s). Budget cooler, yes, but it's perfectly good unless you have high ambient temps or are using a lot of voltage.

it didn't work very well for me. Not with synthetics when all of the cores are under full load. It was OK for gaming but i would never recommend it for i7 or i5

otoh, it was decent for Phenom II 720 X3

Back