• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

best cooling with 478 intel

r4tio

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
269
I dont want water cooling (cant afford) i wanna get a 2.4c processor and OC a lot so im gettin a abit ic7-max3 mobo and i want to get a awesome heatsink for it so it wont ever overheat.




do i really need a chipset heatsink and something to cool my HD?
 
If you have decent airflow in your case, you should be able to do 3.0ghz on the stock cooler. Best investment would be in some arctic silver 5, to use instead of the black pad that comes on the stock cooler.

I can run my 2.8 @ 3.5 on stock cooling (w/ arctic silver 5) with a max of 47c load.

I think the max 3 board comes with active cooling on the northbridge, and I've never heard of anyone cooling there south bridge, as it doesn't get that hot.

As for hard drive, I don't think any hard drive needs active cooling, except for the wd sata raptor series.
 
I wanna OC to around 3.4 or 3.4 what kind of cooling would i need not water cooling heatsink cooling
 
Originally posted by smatts

As for hard drive, I don't think any hard drive needs active cooling, except for the wd sata raptor series.

Ehh, not sure I agree with that statement. I would not want my 15k scsi drives without their active cooling.

I only say this because r4tio didn't post what drives he was running, and may have taken that post too literally.

r4tio: you'd prolly want to check out the Thermalright SP-94 with a high CFM 92mm fan on it. You might be able to get 3.4 stable out of a 2.4C with that.

You'll probably be alright with the stock heatsink on your northbridge, but if its not OC'ing enough for you, a better one certainly wouldn't hurt. You could also put some Arctic Silver 5 on your stock northbridge heatsink too, which would probably help you out a bit.
 
would i use the artic compound on the thermalrigh SP


and you would rather us the cfm fan instead of the tornado?
 
yes, you pretty much want to use Arctic Silver, or some other high end compound on anything you stick on your cpu, be it the stock heatsink, or a $50 heatsink. It actually makes a pretty big difference.

As far as the fans go, CFM is an acronym for Cubit Feet per Minute. So, when I said "high cfm," I just meant any fan that moves a lot of air, not any one in particular. A Vantec tornado is a very good example of a high cfm fan. If you put that on your SP-94, thats just about the best air cooling you could put on your CPU. You'd be deaf, but it would perform well. :)
 
lol what processor you think is better for OC 2.4c or a 2.6c there only like 4 dollar difference on newegg.


I heard i can OC the 2.4 to about 3.4 with stable temps but how would the 2.6 do with the thermalright-SP and the tornado
 
Well, the multiplier is higher on the 2.6's, so each MHz you increase the fsb, you're CPU will be clocked slightly higher than the 2.4 would.

So... I couldn't really say. :p

I would probably get the 2.4C myself, because if the mobo and ram will handle it, you could get a higher fsb, in theory than a 2.6 at the same clock speed.
 
I would be getting a Abit ic7 max3 and mushkin 1gig(2x512) pc3500 ram which one 2.4c or the 2.6c
 
Go with the Zalman 7000 if you cherish peace and quiet. It's an effective overclocking heatsink.
 
First thing is that the benefit of buying the SP94 is that you can put any fan on it that you want. Quiet, loud, ridiculously loud... have it your way.

You can toss a 92MM Papst on it, have it be quieter and cool just as effectively as the 7000.

If you want better cooling with just a bit more noise than a 7000, toss a Panaflo 92MM M1A on the SP94.

Having owned both, I like the versatility and performance of the SP94. The downside of the 7000 is that if the fan dies, you have to get a whole new unit and can't just replace the fan.

Generally you want to actively cool 7200+ RPM HDs. Raptors come in about the same temp as a WD Special edition, so it isn't a Raptor specific issue.
 
Back
Top